The Audience, pt. 2

"You heard the Count," Reeve took over shouting, "everyone out!" Where Adeptson's orders had only produced nervous shuffling, Reeve's had the men at arms straightening and marching out the door. Able backed out into the hall to let them through and tried to stay calm and think.

"Sir...to the execution block?" a junior deputy named Vintner asked dubiously.

"Absolutely not," Reeve hissed, then stretched to look back into the chamber at Barker.

The Secretary caught the look, then gestured with his hands to indicate he was taking care of it. Reeve nodded once, then shoved Lark into the deputy's hands.

"Take two squads and get him to the deep cell," he said lowly. "Take no chances. You." Reeve took another lawman by the shoulder. "Fetch Fiver to my study...and Capstone too. I need my law books." He looked about, satisfied that his men were following orders. "Now—where is that damnable scholar?"

"Right here, Sir," Able replied from behind him. Reeve whirled and looked perplexed for a moment, then snatched up the front of his coat and yanked him further into the hallway.

"I don't get you. Never have." He slammed Able up against the wall. "But you're going to tell me what you know. Start talking."

Able couldn't. The collision had forced the air from his lungs, and they did not seem to be refilling. Reeve released Able so he could double over to catch his breath.

"Sorry about that," he sighed exasperatedly. "Your 'friend' is a lot tougher than you are."

"I've noticed," Able wheezed.

"You smuggled a known criminal just about into the presence of the highest office of this territory. Why?"

"Because I believe him," Able's voice was weak and raspy, and he leaned against the wall and hoped the episode would pass soon.

"You believe him?" Reeve scoffed. "You believe all that in there? The lost prince?"

"Is that very surprising?" Able stiffened when Reeve hit the wall beside him.

"You're a real piece of work, you know that? You don't get to play dumb with me, Houser, not after everything. You can't expect me to believe that it simply did not occur to you that you might be setting up an assassination."

"Sheriff, if someone offered you proof that they were your prince and then demanded your help, what would you do?"

Reeve threw up his arms and began to pace, only to a moment later stop and compose himself. Able was encouraged. Adeptson's response had been so strong that the sheriff had to consider that Lark could be telling the truth and therefore the consequences if so.

"You are too clever by a half," Reeve seized him by the arm. "Have it your way." He was leading Able to the stairs only because Able was unwilling to be dragged there.

"Where are we going?"

"Where suspects for attempted assassination go." Because Able knew the prison layout and current occupancy, this statement actually made him relax.

"He was hurt pretty badly. Would your men provide medical attention without specific orders?"

Reeve snorted in response but still turned and took them back up the hallway to the supply room to request a first aid kit, which he then thrust into Able's arms.

"There, you can make yourself useful." He continued to push Able along in front of him until they reached the cell bock in bottom of the mansion. There he passed the responsibility to Vintner and the three others he'd kept with him as guards.