One Week - Day After

Able had wondered if securing a second interview with Adeptson would even be possible, but scheduled it he had and furthermore passed a note about it to Honor Longfield as instructed. He had worried about trying to interact with her, but that wasn't necessary as she didn't even acknowledge him when she took the note from his hand.

That evening, he was enjoying his new, warm coat while organizing his notes when there was gentle tap on the door. He froze a for moment, then once again went to hold the door closed in case someone tried to force their way in.

"Who is it?"

"Me, keep it down," the younger Longfield whispered harshly.

Able let her in but didn't relax.

"Lark should get the message," she stood in the center of the room with her arms wrapped around herself.

Able nodded while wondering if she was cold, "May I ask how that system is managed?"

"No."

Able nodded again, "Does Reeve suspect you're passing along information without his knowledge?"

"Maybe," she shrugged tiredly. "He reminds me of the consequences if I am often enough." She sat on the bed. "You should know you were seen."

"Seen?" he asked as he took a step closer.

"With Lark," she looked up at him. "I think Reeve bought the landlady story, if with a couple crude comments, but I can't be sure. Stay on your guard."

"I'm more worried that Constance Driver saw," Able confessed. "Or was told."

"If she did, she may just..." Longfield frowned and ran her hand over her mouth, then through her long hair. "Sorry, I don't know what she'd do—look, I'm sorry about earlier. The way I acted. I didn't understand."

"Well, I'm not sure I do either," he shrugged and offered a wry smile. "But fear of being ruined? That I am understanding. And...whatever this is with Lark, it may also be leverage Driver has on me."

"How?" she frowned.

Able sighed and sat on the bed beside her, "You don't know our world."

"Oh... Yeah, I guess...hm," she scratched her mouth again. "Could she have some kind of evidence, or is an accusation enough?"

"Latter can be, if enough people believe it."

"I don't know...I don't think she'd move in the next two days. She's done nothing about me, even after she called me a liability to my face. As if I got arrested on purpose!"

"Could you expose her?"

"I—" she shook her head and swallowed. "I actually wouldn't...wouldn't expect Reeve's affection for me to hold up to much."

"And you thought Capstone's might?"

"...better chance." Longfield held herself again and dropped her gaze. "Or not, as she's loyal to him. She's got stronger protective instincts, I thought, so I...I thought wrong."

Watching her, Able felt the curious urge to put his arm around her in effort to comfort her. He thought it odd, invasive even, and stuck to problem solving:

"Your sister can't extract you?"

"Ha. The Blackbird's the best bet for that. But then what? I starve in the forest?" She was looking at him with wide, frightened eyes, as though she thought he had an answer.

"I don't know," he...no, not admitted—defended himself. "I don't even think what Lark and I are about to try will make any difference. I'm sorry."

"Well, that's where we're all at, isn't it?" she huffed, then put her face in her hands.

Able watched her fail to stave off tears a while, watched her hopelessness, and wondered where his own was. Why he was still agreeing to this instead of being terrified and running back to Aimsby. Why when he thought about it, it didn't seem like it'd be so bad.

Then it dawned on him: it was because Lark would be there. Whatever happened, he wasn't trying to do this alone, because Lark would be there. So he tentatively put his arm around Honor's shoulders and held her, not knowing why it helped, but glad it wasn't nothing.