13. Escape

All of us met back up in the big room when we noticed the air conditioning had stopped. The rest of the guys had just made their way back up from the generator.

"Jenner, what's happening?" Rick questioned.

"The system is dropping all the nonessential uses of power. It's designed to keep the computers running to the last possible second. That started as we approached the half hour mark. Right on schedule." Jenner said to us.

Rick started yelling for everyone to grab their things and get out of here. We all watched with wide eyes as the door closed and locked us in the CDC.

I just stood there frozen. This idiot was locking us in here. I watched as both Daryl and Dean tried to attack Jenner but was quickly held back.

"Jenner, open that door now!" Sam yelled.

"There's no point. Everything topside is locked down. The emergency exits are sealed." Jenner said.

"What happens in 28 minutes?" Rick asked him. "What happens in 28 minutes?" He repeated.

"You know what this place is? We protected the public from very nasty stuff! Weaponized smallpox! Ebola strains that could wipe out half the country! Stuff you don't want getting out! Ever! In the event of a catastrophic power failure, in a terrorits attack, for example, H.I.T.s are deployed to prevent any organisms from getting out." Jenner explained.

"H.I.T.s?" Rick asked.

"Vi, define." Jenner ordered.

"H.I.T.s - high impulse thermo baric fuel air explosives consist of a two stage aerosol ignition that produces a blast wave of significantly greater power and duration than any other known explosive except nuclear. The vacuum pressure effect ignites the oxygen at between 5,000 degrees and 6,000 degrees and is useful when the greatest loss of life and damage to structures is desired."

"It sets the air on fire. No pain." Jenner said.

"He's gonna kill us. We're gonna die." I kept repeating to myself, tangling my hands in hair as I paced back and forth.

All of the men were yelling and trying to get the door open with axes. It wasn't working at all. Jenner had said it was built to withstand a rocket launcher. There was definitely no getting out now.

"Abby!" I heard Sam yell as he noticed me flipping the hell out.

"Abby, hey Abby. It's gonna be fine, alright? We always figure a way out. You know that." Sam tried but I wasn't having any of it.

"We're gonna die because this, this guy will not let us out. For the first time, I'm gonna die thanks to a human." I said, laughing slightly but still freaking out. I didn't miss the way Dale glanced over at me like I had lost my mind.

I looked over at Dean who had angrily threw his axe onto the floor. He looked over at Sam and I, and I seen something I hadn't seen in a long time. I seen the fear in his eyes. And suddenly the state of panic I was in, was replaced with nothing but rage. I looked over at Jenner, my fists balling up, my knuckles turning white.

I quickly made my way over to him, grabbing onto his shirt. My fists had his shirt balled up in my hands. I slammed him back into the computer screens behind him and got close to his face, a deadly look on mine.

"Listen up, jackass. I'm not stupid. I know you can open that damn door. So do it! You don't wanna do it for all these guys who have tried to kill you in the past five minutes. Fine! You don't have to! But what about those two!" I yelled pointing over to Carl and Sophia.

"They're kids! They deserve a chance! Hell, we all deserve a chance. It's our choice to make! I get it, you don't want us to go out there and see more of our friends die, maybe even us being the ones who get bit! But that's our decision. Not yours. If any of them wanna stay, they can. No one is forcing them to go. But me and my boys are getting out. You said it yourself, Jenner, if anyone was gonna go out there and survive or even fix this world, it was a Winchester. It's what we do." I said to him, looking him dead in the eye.

At this point I couldn't care less if anyone ever figured out what we really did before the apocalypse. I didn't care if they found out about the supernatural. I certainly didn't care if they constantly questioned us to figure out what it was that we did. I just needed to get us out of here. And that's exactly what I did.

"I told you, topsides locked down. I can't open those." Jenner says as he puts something into the security pad that opens the door.

"Come on!" Daryl yelled, everyone quickly started rushing to the door to get out.

I watched as Jacqui and Andrea decided that they were staying. Dale told us to go on without him.

We all grabbed our stuff and made our way to the front doors. All of us start grabbing axes and different weapons trying to break the window. But none of us were successful.

"Rick, I have something that might help." Carol told him.

"Carol, I don't think a nail file's gonna do it." Shane said.

"Your first morning at camp, when I washed your uniform I found this in your pocket." She said, holding up a grenade.

Rick quickly takes it and heads over to the window. Everyone starts running to find cover, before I even turn around someone has a grip on my wrist and is tugging me down the stairs to take cover. I don't notice until I get down that it's Daryl.

"Oh, shit!" I hear Rick yell, seconds later hearing the grenade going off. I can hear the glass shattering from the window.

As soon as I stand up, Daryl has a hold of my hand and is yanking me back up the steps and towards the window. Once we get out, we all take off towards different vehicles. I somehow ended up getting in the passenger seat of the truck Daryl was driving.

I quickly made sure Sam, Dean, and Cas were okay. They were glad to see I was okay, too. We all watched as Andrea and Dale crawled out of the window and headed over to us. It suddenly dawned on me that the timer should be up at any second now. Daryl must have noticed it too as we both ducked down into the floor at the same time.

I heard the building explode and was just hoping that everyone had taken cover. Especially Andrea and Dale who were still outside. I smiled to myself as I seen them run into the RV after the explosion.

"That was a little too close." I said, leaning back into the seat and letting out a sigh.

Daryl just let out a grunt before starting the truck and following behind the others. I had no idea where we were going, I was just glad we were out of that death trap.