CHAPTER 10

TAHITI

The rumbling of the trawler's diesel engine ended in a fit of asthmatic coughs. From the moment Kevin Green boarded the vessel, the irritating racket overpowered the wheelhouse, and it still resonated in his ears. He frowned at his assistant and tapped the screen of a laptop computer. The display revealed the rich topography of the ocean floor beneath them.

"We'll start here today," Kevin said, a hint of Brooklyn in his accent. "If the reports are true, we should know soon enough. Let's suit up while Mr. Samurai drops anchor."

Rachel Wilde shifted her eyes to the Japanese sailor named Takeshi Ishikawa, the captain of the boat. "Do you think you'll have better luck communicating with him today?"

"That's a good question." He watched the captain talking with a young Tahitian man on the rear deck. "His deckhand may have to help again." 

A local fisherman had directed them to Captain Ishikawa two days ago. He stood a good three inches over six feet and was built like a defensive lineman. He spoke bits and pieces of English, which made for plenty of animated attempts at communication over the last two days.

"Remember the look the ole cap gave us when we first met him?" he said without taking his eyes off the mountain of muscle.

"One of joyful confusion?"

"I was thinking more of―" Kevin met Rachel's playful gaze. "On second thought, your description fits perfectly."

"The two are an odd pair, that's for sure."

He noted the difference in stature between the sailors. Captain Ishikawa towered over the Tahitian. Kevin imagined the Japanese man tossing the skinny deckhand overboard with little effort. Regardless, the men were an effective team. All they needed were a boat, a driver, and someone to provide occasional help. The two men fit that description well.   

Kevin tapped his dive watch. "I think it's time to get started." 

He left Rachel's side and approached the large man with a casual gait. In a slow drawl, he said, "Could you please drop the anchor?"

The captain answered with a wide toothed grin. 

Kevin shook his head and glanced back at Rachel. To his surprise, she stood behind him. She handed him a baseball cap with an anchor stitched on the bill.

"Should've thought of this yesterday," she said.

"Nice thinking."

He pointed at the emblem and then repeated the command even slower, this time motioning with his hand over the edge of the boat. The sailor appeared to comprehend the message the second time and told the deckhand to take care of the matter in what sounded like Japanese. After the order, Captain Ishikawa slipped into the wheelhouse as if he had something important to do.

Kevin didn't understand a word the big man said, but the results pleased him. The Tahitian hurried for the bow section of the thirty-six foot craft, unwound the huge anchor, and lowered it into the water.

Rachel slipped into a neoprene wet suit and zipped it up to her neck.

Kevin forced his eyes away to avoid the contours of her body beneath the suit as he helped her with an air tank and made sure her breathing regulator was in proper operating condition. Rachel was an attractive woman, but this was business. The last thing he needed was to get involved with a co-worker. Besides, she already caused two of his friends to break up, and he wasn't sure it was wise at this point to allow himself the luxury of a fling. He tightened a final strap with a quick snap and a nod.