CHAPTER 65

ATLANTIS RESEARCH VESSEL 

"Dalton and his team were stalking the ship when an RPG hit their Zodiac. Someone fired it from Zanderthal's ship. Fortunately, they survived with only minor injuries, but they only had one inflatable. Now, we're just following the ship after fishing the former SEALs out of the drink." Cat stared at the image of Director Hardy on the conference room television screen. "We've classified the Hercules Australis as an icebreaker. From the look of its battered bow, I'd say it's seen plenty of action in the Antarctic. And according to Jake and Tony, it's the same ship that brushed us at sea."

"Well," Hardy said, "catch up to it and get Dalton and the SEALs back into action."

"We can't. It's faster than the Atlantis. They increased to full power after blasting the Zodiac out of the water. And, slowly but surely, we're losing ground."

"Then what's the latest on Jake and Tony's rescue attempt? Have they found anything that suggests Sarah is still alive?"

"I'm afraid not. The last we heard, they just boarded the ship."

Hardy didn't respond. Stress lines streaked across his forehead, overshadowing wary eyes.

Cat was as sharp as an ice pick. She could read his body language and demeanor with relative ease. Hardy fidgeted in his seat, shifting side to side, like he couldn't get comfortable. He was doing his best to hold it together.

"We'll get her back," Cat said. She hoped to revive the spirit in his hazel eyes. "I'm waiting for radio confirmation from Jake and Tony. If I don't hear from them soon, I'll do whatever it takes. I'll find a helicopter if I have to and jump aboard myself. But think about it, William, she's worth more to him alive. He could bargain with her to get us to back off."

Hardy appeared to be struggling with her reasoning. He leaned back in his chair, closed his eyes, and ran his fingers through his hair. The director took several deep breaths and didn't say a word for a few seconds. When he opened his eyes, he appeared to be a weakened man, half determined, half frail and hopeless.

"She's the only family I have left," Hardy said. "If you don't hear from Jake and Tony in the next thirty minutes, get me back on the horn. If I have to, I'll request a direct line to Zanderthal and try to set up a meeting between the two of us at a neutral location. Abducting Sarah is a direct hit to me. He'll love to see me begging for my daughter's life."

"Maybe it won't come to that. I'll update you as soon as the outcome becomes clear, Sarah or no Sarah."

The large monitor faded to black. Hardy was through talking.

Cat closed her laptop and rose from her chair at the table. There was nothing left to say, anyway. Sarah, Jake and Tony would make it back to the research vessel alive and in one piece or one of them would die. Or all of them.

As she found her way to the ship's main deck, Cat fathomed the possibility of losing all three of them. It was unthinkable. Jake and Tony were cut from a different mold. They were good guys who weren't afraid to put their lives on the line for someone in need. As for Sarah, she was dependable and witty and not scared to get her hands dirty. Of greater significance, she was Director Hardy's daughter and a friend. Working together with Rachel's young mind, she knew the four of them would make an unbeatable team for Sea Lab. As for Kevin, his treachery still stung. A genuine friend turned traitor. Where he was now, she didn't know, and she couldn't concern herself with that at the moment.

Cat downed a flight of stairs and strode across the ship's deck toward the A-frame crane that jutted in the air off the stern of the Atlantis. She turned to the port side and peered ahead into the night, trying to get a view of Zanderthal's ship, knowing she had nothing to rely on but Jake and Tony.