CHAPTER 57

In front of the bathroom mirror, Sarah sat in the dress Zanderthal wanted her to wear, trying to piece together the events that unfolded since her imprisonment. A female crew member had given her a glass of ice water after four in the morning. She knew this because of a digital clock on the nightstand.

Sarah relieved her dry mouth with several gulps, and then her world spun out of control. Her vision blurred. The maroon and gold blanket swirled into a haze. Standing next to the nightstand, Sarah dropped the glass, and it crashed to the floor. Then she collapsed across the bed, face down.

When she awoke four hours later, someone had tucked her under the covers and her clothes changed in favor of a silky nightgown. Repulsion surged through her body. Sarah could only wonder who had removed her clothes and dressed her in the gown. She hoped it was the same woman who gave her the glass of water, not one of Zanderthal's men. She was just as startled to discover the bump on her forehead was gone. Had it healed in her sleep? Her fingertips felt the skin where a nasty knot and bruise had been. She searched for an answer, but her reflection was short-lived as the effects of the drug returned. Again, she fell asleep and awoke two hours later.

Since then, Sarah passed the time by watching television. It only had one channel that played the movie Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom repeatedly. She suspected it was a loop from a hidden DVD player. As a child, she'd watched the classic and was glad to have something to take her mind off her situation. But halfway through the second showing, she lost interest. Sometime later, she checked the TV again and sure enough; it was still playing. Maybe they were trying to send her a message? That this was the temple of doom.

Her thoughts returned to the present with one glance in the mirror. The dress Zanderthal had picked out clung to her figure. A little tight for her tastes, but she was glad the evening attire extended past her knees. Spaghetti straps curled over her bare shoulders, accentuated by her long hair that flowed down her back like a waterfall.

In the mirror, sapphire eyes peered back at her. The dress was befitting an evening at a five-star restaurant. Zanderthal was not lacking taste, but who did when money was no object? She ran a finger over her forehead where the bump had been. Not even a trace of bruising or swelling remained.

She hadn't lost her mind. It couldn't have healed that fast. 

What had they given her to speed the healing process, one of Zanderthal's experimental drugs? Sarah glanced at her arm. Was the drug coursing through her veins, altering her body's natural processes? It might be her imagination, but she felt revived and energetic.

Sarah leaned forward and brushed her cheek with a powder brush. She wasn't falling for the billionaire's attempt at flattery by any stretch. Something told her this dinner date might be her only chance at freedom.

She suspected there were more guards lurking outside her door. And she also had a feeling that Ishikawa would keep a close eye on her, too. She wouldn't try to fool herself. She stood no chance against the assassin.

Sarah contemplated her next move. Zanderthal would send for her soon. If an opportunity to escape presented itself, she would go for it.

She tried to smile to encourage herself, but it came out flat. A weak effort.

The room's lavish decor reflected in the mirror. The opulence baffled her, but she wasn't fooled. If she was correct, this room was not in a building on land. Every clue she encountered on her way to this secret chamber suggested they were near the ocean. The salt in the air and the breeze on her arms painted a picture in her mind. She must be on a ship on calm water because she had heard no wave action when Ishikawa brought her here.

Since locked in the room, she hadn't felt the floor beneath her move until this afternoon, when the lamp vibrated on the nightstand. A mild rumble followed the shudder.

Having spent a great deal of time on the ocean gave her keen senses. Her suite had no windows. That clue, coupled with the vibrations earlier, removed all doubt. She was on a ship. A big one.

When at sea, it was easy to detect the ocean's ebb and flow. Even the largest ships swayed with the waves unless they floated on a sea of glass, which she doubted. That led her to believe they had anchored in a quiet bay.

But what did Zanderthal have in mind for her?

A miserable laugh burst from her throat, and a tear slid down her cheek. She didn't have an answer. She especially couldn't imagine escaping in this dress and high-heeled shoes.

In the mirror, her gaze hardened. She inhaled a deep breath and exhaled defiantly. "I won't go down without a fight."

Keys jingled, and then the door swung open. Sarah spun around on the stool. In stepped Takeshi Ishikawa, decked out in a black suit with a matching tie. The giant smiled and gestured toward the hallway. It was time to have dinner with Roland Zanderthal.

"Your table awaits you, Ms. Lawson."

Ishikawa waited at the door for her and then led her through the corridor.

This time, a hood didn't block her sight. Sarah memorized every step of the way. It could prove vital to her survival.

Up the stairs they went. They rounded three landings and then surfaced in the light of day. The brightness tore into her pupils while her eyes adjusted. Once the pain subsided, she realized her intuition was correct. They were, in fact, on the deck of a massive ship with the open ocean to the east. To the west, the sun was setting over land. As suspected, they had been at port, but were now anchored in an inlet bay.

Ishikawa escorted her to the three-story bridge wing positioned near the bow. A gentle breeze ruffled her hair and brought with it a hint of freedom. It felt good on her cheeks and neck as it blew in from the sea.

They mounted a stairwell and climbed to the second floor of the bridge. Ishikawa directed her to a set of rear facing doors. He opened the passage and nodded for her to enter. Inside was a luxurious dining hall encompassed by large windows allowing sunlight to fill the spacious room.

Ishikawa ushered her to a seat near the end of a rectangle table. Its cherry finish gleamed under the invading light. Sarah guessed the Ocean Blue CEO would take his spot at the head of the table.

Ishikawa nudged her chair forward. Then he leaned over and whispered in her ear, his breath hissing over her neck. She cringed with each word that sputtered from his mouth.

"Mr. Zanderthal will be with you when the sun dips below the horizon." Ishikawa checked his watch. "About forty minutes from now. Wish I could keep you company till then."

Sarah leaned away, thinking his lips might touch the side of her face. He was too close... way too close.

"But," Ishikawa said, "I have other matters to attend to."

Then he was gone.

In the last sixteen hours since being taken captive, this was her first taste of freedom. Sarah believed she could find a way off the ship, but she had no misgivings. Zanderthal had the upper hand.