CHAPTER 52

Jake's legs burned with every step, but he pushed up the steep hill until he reached the top. Tony didn't falter, either. In fact, his lighter frame made it easier for him to stay a step ahead, or at least, it seemed. Jake couldn't believe he was being competitive in his battered state after rolling through the ditch to escape Takeshi Ishikawa's murderous assistant. It must be his nature.

At the top of the hill, he slowed his pace and let his legs breathe as Tony did the same. A moment later, much to his relief, headlights appeared in the distance.

Jake hoped it was their ride back to the Atlantis, but for a second insecurity gripped him. A vision filled his mind of one of Zanderthal's men coming to check on their status—were they dead—and, if not, finish the job. He was thankful when the car slowed and a woman's outline became visible through the windshield. An eye for fine automobiles; he recognized the model and make before the wheels ground to a halt. When the passenger side window of the gray BMW M3 lowered halfway, Jake leaned over, relieved to see Cat O'Donnell and her tousled hair.

"I knew you were aboard the Atlantis," he said. "But I didn't think you'd pick us up yourself."

"Our situation is too dire to delegate to someone else," she replied with a forced smile. "Fortunately, I could borrow this car from a local dealership. I've been doing this long enough to have friends in high places."

Tony climbed in the back while Jake settled in the front.

"How did you know I was here?" she asked.

Jake shrugged his shoulders.

"It doesn't matter." She grimaced. "I still can't believe it about Kevin. How could he?"

"His sister. He said as much."

Cat's expression faded from serious to grave. "I have something I need to show you." She stuck her hand into the crack between the seat and the middle console and pulled out a manila folder. "It's concerning Kevin and Rachel's incident in Tahiti."

"Another piece of the puzzle," Tony said.

"A big one. But before we get into that, I should probably tell you about our near miss at sea."

"What happened?" Jake asked.

She told them about the incident between the Atlantis and the mystery ship.

"Zanderthal must think he owns the entire southern hemisphere," Tony said.

"Every square inch of the sea. He hit you guys in The Bahamas, at Sea Lab's back door. Above the equator, I should point out."

Jake felt like they were wasting time. Every second that slipped by could bring Sarah closer to death. "I'm glad the ship made it out in one piece. What's in the file?"

"Photos." She passed him the first one. "They're likely of the same Japanese man who you say kidnapped Sarah."

"Takeshi Ishikawa," he said. In the picture, the man was plodding down a pier with faint lights in the distance. "He introduced himself before he cut tail and ran with her. That's him alright."

"It's a still shot from a security camera in Tahiti. Kevin and Rachel used the same marina to investigate the coral reefs off the island. The guy never paid attention to the camera mounted on the corner of the port office, and the photo date matches the same day as their ambush at sea."

"And this one?" Jake held up a second picture.

"An airport shot taken before Ishikawa left the island. There's no doubt he's responsible for the murder of the Tahitian deckhand and the attempted murders of Kevin and Rachel."

"And don't forget Sarah." Jake locked eyes with Cat. "I'm convinced he's the one who blew up her house."

"The blood in the water gets thicker," she said with a distilled coldness, like she was performing an autopsy. "A tourist found the boat owner's body floating near the marina, which the local authorities kept a secret until they concluded their investigation. Mr. Ishikawa must have rented the trawler and then decided he needed to eliminate the man after he finished the job."

"No loose ends," Tony said, reaching for the photos.

Jake handed them back and asked Cat, "Mind if we borrow the car?"

"As long as you promise not to drive it off a bridge. You're aware Sea Lab just purchased an Audi A4 with water damage?"

"I'm going after Sarah."

"I'm thinking about sending in the Atlantis security team. The former SEALs could infiltrate the compound and maybe find her alive."

"Not a good idea right now," Jake replied, skepticism burning behind his eyes. "It won't look good if they get busted on foreign soil, and besides, what if they spook Sarah's guard detail and get her killed?"

"They're highly trained, Jake. Do you really think—"

"It'd be better if you let me and Tony scope the place out first. And later, if we need the SEALs, send the security force in."

Cat, aware of Jake's surveillance experience in the Navy, searched his eyes for a sign that she should give into his plan. She must have found it, because she relented after a steady gaze. "Okay, but before you attempt any rescue on your own, contact me first. Any miscalculated move could cost Sarah her life."

"You have my word."