chapter 2

Catherine Garcia or Kate as she is known to her cousins looked around her, events like this made her happy. There's just something about weddings that made her excited. It made her believe in happy endings and true love.

She serenaded the couple in their first dance and sang most of the songs in her native language and even tried to explain the lyrics of the song to the non-Filipino guests. She was astonished to see so many people. Her cousin had not told her that she was expecting almost two hundred guests at her wedding.

She noticed a guy looking bored at the corner of the room. He was seated alone. The other guests will only nod their heads at him but will not sit with him. 

Then she almost stammered and forgot her lyrics when she noticed that he was checking her out when she glanced his way. He raised his glass to her and she responded with a smile but looked away quickly from him. 

She was glad to sing the last song and she went back to the table with her cousins. The dance floor began to get packed as singles and couples started dancing to the upbeat dance number the band is playing. The bride and groom were also on the dance floor laughing with their friends and relatives.

She sat down with her back to the guy who raised his glass at her. But when she stood up to get some food from the buffet she happened to glance at him and noticed that he was looking at her. She pretended not to see him and kept her plate balanced on her other hand while she refilled her glass with a colorful drink from the table. She surmised that it was a cocktail that she was getting and not just an ordinary juice drink. 

She was finishing her food and laughing with them when one of her cousins started to say something and she looked behind her shoulders. 

Her cousins gawked as he walked towards them but he gave them no heed as his focus is solely on her. "Hi. I hope I can persuade you to dance with me?" he said. 

There was a moment of hesitation from her but then she gave him her sweet smile and willingly went with him to the middle of the dance floor. 

''You have a very beautiful voice.'' He said seductively in her ear. The music muffled his voice and she has to strain her ear to understand what he was saying. He repeated what he said as he brought his face closer to her. 

She shivered by his nearness and the touch of his lips on her ears. This guy is bent to make her crazy. And to her dismay, her body is reacting to his intent seduction on her senses. His perfume filled her nostrils as her face came in contact with his coat. 

She wanted to stay farther from him but the dance floor is packed and the music is loud so talking to each other would also be impossible unless she/he would lean close to the other.  

''Thank you. May I know who I'm dancing with?'' She answered as she tried to lean close to his ear so she can be heard. 

She hid her amusement as her lips touched his cheek as she asked for his name. Then she felt his lips brush on her cheek as he answered her questions. Damn, this guy is intent on making her crazy. She knew this kind of maneuver.

He was surprised by her question and she wondered why. He was staring at her as if he was gauging if he heard her right. This guy must be someone popular, she thought. 

 ''I'm Lucas Niarchos.'' He said and expected her to recognize the name. But his name didn't ring a bell. So, she just said, "okay". He almost laughed at her answer. 

"Who tortured you to come here, Michelle or his husband?" she asked boldly. 

He laughed out loud, at her question. "What made you think that I have been tortured to come here," he asked.