chapter 5

Lucas reached for her hand as they went out of the restaurant. "The night is still young, what do you say we stop by at my place for a nightcap?" 

She looked at him, and there was something in the way that he looked at her, that she just couldn't say no. "Okay," was all she can say, she felt overwhelmed that he wanted to spend more time with her. She wanted the night never to end too. He made her feel wonderful. He was very sweet to her. Oh, she wanted to kiss him again. 

She doubted her decision to go to his place. She heard something that a nightcap meant something else.  But she trusted him. She knew that he will not force her for more than a kiss if she wish it so. 

They decided to skip dessert, as they were already full, and she brought the cake with her. Back home, food is not to be wasted. She remembered her mother always have an extra container in her bag whenever they go out for a meal. 

She put the cake on her lap, as she fastened her seatbelt and this time without his help. The smell of the chocolate cake filled her nose as she pop open the box. 

"Hmm, hmm. I guess you don't allow anyone to eat inside your car?" she asked. The first thing that she noticed when she first set foot in his car, was that it was very clean. 

"Unfortunately no, but I can be persuaded." he smiled at her as he put the car to drive. Something from his eyes was telling her that persuasion must mean something and not the ordinary word, please. 

"Well, chocolate cake goes well with a cup of coffee, so I think I will just wait till we get to your place," she said glancing at him, a smile hovered on her lips as she bantered with him. 

The traffic light turned red and he stopped the car. The street lamp illuminated his face as he turned to look at her. 

"And somebody told me that chocolate icing tastes better when licked off from a skin." He said.  His eyes were full of mischief as he looked at her face mouth, then his gaze moved to her neck and her bare shoulders. 

She felt herself turning hot and cold, and wondered if she should just let him turn the car and drive her back to her aunt. She diverted his message, however, by saying, "eww, eww, eww, " which made him laugh loudly. 

The light has turned green and he stepped on the accelerator. They were quiet for a while, so she decided to switch on the radio. They were talking about John Lennon and John Denver when he pulled over at the entrance of a very glamorous hotel. 

A valet approached him and he gave the key to his car. He helped her out of the car. He held her hand as he guided her towards the entrance. The guard greeted them as he opened the door for them. A receptionist was behind her desk but she waved her hand at them and greeted them as well.

The one that she can think of as she looked around her was opulence. The marbled tiles on the wall shimmered as the lights reflected off from it. A big chandelier occupied the ceiling of the foyer. He ushered her further and they stopped where the elevator doors were located. 

"I thought we were going to your house?" she asked when he closed the door.

"This is home, this is the Pharaoh Tower." He said and by the incredible look on her face, he further explained, "This is a residential tower. The ground level was allocated to shops, boutiques, and bars. We also have amenities like the gym, swimming pool, and tennis court." 

"Oh, I thought this is a hotel, it feels like one." She said and wished she had closed her mouth. She wondered what he must think of her. It seems that tonight she had shown him how ignorant she was. 

She caught his eyes and to hide her embarrassment, she laughed. He responded by pulling her for an embrace. She hugged him and pressed her face to his chest.

She heard the ding of the elevator. They have reached their floor. The elevator door opened and a guy was clearing his throat, so she extracted herself from his embrace looked down on the floor. She was not willing to look at the guy who was getting in. She heard Lucas say a greeting to whoever that was. 

He held her hand as he guided her to his door. There was a black numeric thing by his door. He pushed some numbers in it, then he turned on the knob. She didn't say her amazement but that was very cool. She wished they have one back home. She remembered how she climbed on their window when her mother had forgotten to bring the key when they left the house. 

He opened the door and he put his hand on her waist to guide her through. His place is huge. It has an open plan design. His living room and dining room are in the same space. She can see a bar on one side where numerous wine bottles are kept. On the other side must be the kitchen as she can see the kitchen bar stools. She looked around and admired how everything was well-matched, the furniture pieces, the colors, and the decor on the walls.

"Wow, this is so beautiful." She exclaimed. His place looked so elegant and very manly. She wondered if that would be the correct term for it. She saw no colors that suggest it to be girly or womanly. There were no pink or red colors in his space, everything was neutral.

"You like it?" he asked as he came near her, and guided her towards the living room. She put her bag on the couch as she continued to take in everything in his so-called house, which to her standard felt like a hotel. 

"Alexa, raise the blinds." She turned her head to see whom he was calling. 

"Raising the blinds," the computerized voice replied. 

She was astounded to hear a computerized voice, she looked at the blinds rolling up by themselves, revealing a wall of glass. 

"Alexa, switch the lights on the balcony," he said looking at her. She looked at him and she can see that he was enjoying her reactions to his command of someone called Alexa. 

The lights were switched on revealing a wide balcony behind the wall of glass. He pushed open one side of the wall. It was the door leading to the balcony. 

From where she was standing she can see that the balcony is wide. She has stayed at hotels where the balcony can only occupy a small table and chairs. But this one has several planters placed strategically around it. Tall plants, not the miniature ones are planted in them. She could see a dining table on the other end, and couches with gray cushions on the other side as well. 

Lucas smiled proudly as he opened the door leading to it. She followed him but stopped at the threshold. He walked towards the railing and leaned his back on it as he waited for her to come forward. 

"Lucas, please step away from the railing," she managed to say weakly. Her heart began to beat wildly in her chest and she struggled to breathe. The image of her friend falling when the railing gave way flashed before her mind as she looked at Lucas, prompting her to shake with fear. 

He didn't understand her and he turned around giving his back to her. The balcony railing is high and made of metal. The metal was spaced horizontally and allowed one to look beyond. It gave an unobstructed view of the surroundings.