chapter 12

They were having dinner when he informed her that his parents would be coming to visit. She must have looked panicky because he got up to embrace her. They have been living together for six months. She loved taking care of him and cooking his meals. But, she didn't think she was prepared to meet his mother.

"Don't worry about it. Nana will be here to help you," he said. "Let Nana take care of the menu. They will only be here for two days."

"They already know about you," he comforted her when she looked worried enough to cry.

His family came that weekend. He was at work and he wasn't around to meet them. She shyly introduced herself to them and showed them to their rooms.

Nana had helped in preparing the rooms. She knew that his mother preferred the second bedroom. This room has a balcony view. Unlike the master bedroom, it doesn't have a glass wall. It only has a window and a glass door leading to the balcony. His brother got the last room. The two rooms shared the bathroom.

His mother surveyed the house. She commented on the new furniture that she bought. She expressed her dislike of the curtains saying it wasn't enough to block the sunlight.

"Next time you buy things for his house use high-end pieces, dear." His mother suggested. She conversed with her about stuff and interior designs and she would cringe whenever she commented poorly on her style and taste. His mother found her strawberry-find cushions hilarious and cheap.

She just bit her lip whenever his mother said something derogatory. It was embarrassing and she would just hide it with a smile. She wished that Lucas would come home soon. But as it happened he would be delayed. He had an urgent meeting to attend the whole day. He promised to be home by dinner time.

She offered his family lunch and they went to the kitchen. Thankfully, Nana was around and the food was ready on time.

His mother commented on this and that and added that she needed to learn how to cook the dishes right if she wanted his son to enjoy her cooking.

They were eating dessert when the doorbell rang. She stood up to open it. She wondered who it could be since Luke mentioned only his family will be visiting.

"Hi. You must be Lucas' new girl I've heard about?" A beautiful woman dressed in pastel asked as soon as she opened the door.

"I am," she replied. "And you are?" she asked and offered her hand. She did not open the door widely until the woman introduced herself. The woman had sensed that she wouldn't get past her, offered her hand, and introduced herself.

Natalie as she was called plopped herself on the couch like she owned the place and asked if she could have some tea.

"Is that you dear Natalie?" His mother came out of the kitchen and walked to her new guest.

"Aunt, I heard you would be here, so I came to visit," she stood up and kissed Lucas' mother.

She felt awkward looking at them. They certainly knew each other. And here she was playing host who obviously doesn't know anyone.

"Natalie why don't you come with me to the kitchen. I could give you a sample of my cookies and you can enjoy your tea there as well," Nana offered. She heaved a sigh of relief. Nana must have heard Natalie asking for tea.

She went back to the table and eat her dessert but her appetite was gone. She asked Nana if she could have some coffee instead.

"Hmm...this is delicious Nana," Natalie commented.

"Thank you, Nat. I know you will love those," Nana said.

"I told her she could prepare this better if she had used the right butter for this." Mrs. Niarchos said.

"But the butter you're talking about is high on cholesterol," Nana said. She bantered with her. They have known each other for so long. She was the only odd one in the group.

After their lunch, his mother had excused herself and went to her room while Natalie went with Mr. Niarchos to the library. They were talking about business which was something she doesn't know about.

She chose to sit on the balcony. Lucas had arranged the chairs to be far from the ledge so she can sit and relax without the fear of having to look below her.

She gazed on the horizon. The city view offered nothing but lines of buildings. She missed the view from her bedroom window back home, where she can stare at endless rice paddies and occasional birds that feed on the crop.

She hadn't heard Sam's approach and she was surprised when he came to stand behind her. "Don't mind my mother. She's always like that whenever Luke brought home a girl. But of course, it's not often that he does." Sam moved to sit opposite her.

"You look nothing I had expected to be," he admitted.

"What did you expect?" she asked. Sam is Lucas's younger brother. He was not as critical as his mother. He took after his father who didn't raise an eye about her. He had never given any indication that she doesn't measure up to his brother.

"I was expecting someone glamorous, who swears to love him only to bleed him of his money-like a leech," he said as he examined her.

"I guess that is a compliment then?" she queried. He leaned towards her and winked at her. It was then that she realized he was drunk. This guy was something. And she thought that she has a savior in the family.

Sam smirked at her realization. "Only a little honey," he said.

His mother peeked her head out from her bedroom door and noticed them. She doesn't look happy at seeing them. "Sam, why don't you sleep off that alcohol in your system?" His mother demanded.

Sam looked at her and asked. "Where did you put me?"

"Same room as before. Your brother told me to prepare those rooms for you." She replied. She had put his bag in the room. And he had even helped.

She looked at the beautiful trees on the planters. The leaves were swaying softly in the wind. The balcony were designed such that strong winds will not destroy the plants. The Pharaoh Tower was a certified green tower.

She leaned her head on the chair. She wished she were somewhere else.