Chapter 2

"Alice!" my startlingly beautiful, long blonde haired friend gasped in shock. Her gorgeous blue eyes twinkled at me, her mouth slightly ajar in surprise after I told her the train-wreck of an interview I had yesterday. "You did what?"

"I know! After all that, I told the woman outside to fuck off too," I said, before burying my face in my hands and groaned.

Olivia and I were sat in a café round the corner to where she worked. I decided to meet up with her before her shift started and I had explained what had happened with the interview from start to end in surprising vivid detail. Well, leaving out a few details; like the handsome man that was behind the table. This was something Olivia would have wanted to know more about rather than the interview itself. She had a bit of an obsession with men.

I liked Olivia, she was the closest thing I had to a best friend. She was originally my roommate for a few months after I moved to the city. She had a small spare room for rent, and luckily she had it up for quite cheap too. We hit it off quite quickly, which I was extremely surprised about. She was a beautiful blonde girl, only a year younger than I was, and was extremely outgoing. I was the complete opposite, but she was surprisingly easy to get along with. Our little arrangement only lasted a few months though, I had found out she was actually renting the apartment herself and wasn't actually allowed to rent out the other bedroom. The landlord had kicked us both out and we had to go our separate ways. But our strange friendship lasted.

"That's amazing! At least you fucked it up in style!" she giggled hysterically.

"It's useless! I'm never going to get a job in a hotel! Maybe I am better off going back to care?"

"Don't be silly, there are still loads of hotels out there, or maybe you're better off starting somewhere smaller? Like a hostel or something?" she said, touching my hand in sympathy. "Just don't yell at the interview panel and tell people to fuck off!" she suddenly smiled.

I groaned again. I realised after having a good long think about what I had done—the whole Miss/Mrs mistake—there was still chance to salvage the interview; just laugh it off as an administration error. But no, instead I decided to yell at people and storm out like a spoilt brat.

Plus, to make matters worse; I really wanted that particular job. Yeah, the role was just entry level, probably only be filing and paper pushing. But the company was supposed to be a really good company to work for. I heard rumours that people who started at the company would be well looked after and they really helped you progress. I had dreams of going far in the company. I needed to go far in the company. I needed to prove myself. It was also a social enterprise too, so it helps the community, something that had caught my attention in particular. Global Elite, the company was called. That hotel was just one of two in London, and one of, probably lots around the world. I had done a bit of research, hoping my knowledge of the company and its history might have won me some brownie points. Not that I even got that far.

Olivia opened her mouth—probably about to comfort me in her usual sarcastic way—but closed it when my mobile phone rang loudly next to me. I stared at the caller ID but I didn't recognise the number. It wasn't a saved contact, so I didn't rush to answer it. Besides, I had a feeling I knew who it was.

"Aren't you going to answer it?" Olivia asked, her well-manicured eyebrow rose at me curiously.

"No, it's probably Simon," I replied, still staring at the mobile as it danced and sang at me.

"I thought you liked Simon?"

Simon was my ex. Well, he was and he wasn't. We didn't officially break up. I just walked out on him a while back and stopped talking to him. I guess that constitutes as an ex. We weren't together for long anyway. Either way I didn't tell Olivia the whole story. In fact, I didn't really tell her anything. She didn't even know I had stopped seeing him. She didn't exactly ask.