17 | run, hide

________________________

DARK AND DANGEROUS. The roads when the ice struck and the snow fell; the forest when the sun hid the rocks and pits; the Honour Guard. They were dark, their hearts and minds corrupted by the evil that tracked through their blood; they were dangerous, their guns slung over their shoulders as they set out with one goal coursing through their veins. They were out for blood, and they could smell it in the air.

Adele knew the roads well. She knew how easy it was to skid across the ice; she had seen the devastation of a car wrapped around a snowy tree; she had heard the crunch of metal and the shatter of glass. She was determined not to become another statistic, but it was hard to control her speed when fear pushed adrenaline through her body like a sickness.

"We can't go back to your cabin," Ainslie whimpered, hovering on the cusp of a tearful breakdown. Her fingertips were white, clutching the fabric of her seat. "They'll go there. The dogs will go there."

"That's why we have to go back," Adele said, her eyes set straight ahead.

"No!" Ainslie cried. "They'll find Caleb. You need to drive out of the valley – we need to get away from here."

"No." Adele shook her head. "We have to go home, Ains. They're going to come to the cabin whether we're there or not. If we're not there, they'll raid the place. The dogs will go straight there because Caleb's scent is all over the place and the hunters will tear the place apart looking for him, and they'll find a lot." She met Ainslie's gaze. "There's evidence all over the place. If Creighton gets inside the cabin, we're fucked. If we're there, I can stop that from happening. I can cover our tracks."

"I don't like this, Adele." Her voice was shaking, filled with fear the glistened in her eyes. "They're going to find him."

"No they won't." She glanced over her shoulder. "You're going to be fine, Caleb. They won't find you. I won't let them. We'll figure something out."