33 | the stairway to safety

________________________

THE RAIN GAVE way to a moment of peace when the eye of the storm hovered over the forest, the wind stilling and the downpour coming to a stop. The thunder quietened as it rolled off into the distance at last, the lightning disappearing with it, and silence fell like a curtain dropping at the end of a performance. The fire crackled, flames dancing in the rain-streaked window pane, and a roar exploded when a ball of newspaper lit up with a sudden flash.

A drop of hot chocolate sizzled in the grate, sloshing out of the mug in Ainslie's hand when the fire made her jump. She cradled the mug, mirroring Caleb's position with her elbows resting on her knees and her eyes on Adele, who wouldn't settle. Her hands raked through her hair, clasped at the nape of her neck as she paced around the kitchen. There wasn't much space for that, and she came a stop against the sink. Behind her, pale light fell through the window like a halo.

"I have to go," she said. She had said that several times in the past few minutes, as though trying to convince herself to do something she'd rather not.

"No you don't," Ainslie said. She had said that every single time.

"It's a bad idea," Caleb added.

"It's not safe, Adele."

"I have to," she said again, shaking her head. "I have to talk to Jade. Just because we have a crappy relationship doesn't mean I can keep this from her. She needs to know, guys. Katherine's her sister too."

"But it's dangerous," Caleb said. "Creighton is there. I don't want you to hurt again. He can't hurt you again, Adele."

Ainslie jumped back in, nodding her agreement with Caleb. "And he will if he sees you in his house. I just think this is a bad idea. Will it even make a difference if he's got Jade under his thumb? She won't even listen to you."

"No," Adele said, "but at least she'll hear. I need her to hear me, even if she doesn't believe me. For her sake and for the baby's, she really needs to hear me."