Chapter Four - Trust

Chapter Four – Trust

I forced myself to sleep throwing my covers over my head. When the morning rounds came it was not Candy who checked on me but the older nurse again. She was rough and rude but my parents were finally let in, just them. They looked me over and played the part of concerned parent long enough for the nurse to pull her nose from our business and leave.

Once she was gone, my mother sat next to me and grabbed my hand, my father next to her. I wasn’t ready for them to stuff me full of lies so this time I would take the stage. I wanted to get out of here. This hospital was making me crazy.

“Did you have any children after me?” I asked her straight out.

My mother sat for a moment a little baffled by the question. She seemed genuinely confused by the sudden interest in her reproductive life. My father was the same.

“You know I didn’t. I have always wanted for you to have a sibling. What would make you ask such a thing, Perses?”

I felt stupid for even thinking that it could be a fraction of the way true but it was weighing down on me so heavily. The hallucinations were so real and if I didn’t clear it up I would for sure lose every last bolt I had been equipped with.

“You swear to me on my life that you have not given birth to any other children.” I then stated. She nodded her head, “And dad, no straying away? No illegitimate babies?”

He stood, rather furious by the accusation and looked around, “What is going through your head, son? What in god’s name would cause you to ask us a question like that?”

“Tell me!” I shouted.

“No, you are my only child! Perses…”

And then it just came out of me. I couldn’t control it, the words just escaped from my mouth. But the moment they had, the feeling of relief flooded through me like a new magical medicine relieving me of all confusion, stress and pain I had felt emotionally before.

“I know about Pandora.”

They both froze in their spots. They looked at me as if I had four heads and a tail. My mother’s face was as white as paper whereas my dad was now blushing.

“What do you mean by that?” My mother asked me. My father seemed far to traumatized by the words to come up with a response. As she finished, Dr. Wilcox entered with a bright smile which was smashed by the looks on their faces.

“What is going on in here?” He asked quickly.

My mother turned to him and took in a deep breath. There was a crackle in her voice, the same that came when talking about giving birth again, “He just told us he knows about Pandora.”

The doctor rushed over to me, complete shock overcoming him. I could even see goosebumps on his arms. The doctor never got goosebumps.

“Pandora? What do you know about Pandora?”

The fact that they had reacted to someone who I had made up in my mind caused me to slowly grow numb. It started at my toes and the spread throughout me like an infection. Maybe there was something slightly more real about the vision than I had first anticipated.

Liam had to take a seat as the shock had spread to his legs making it hard for him to stand. My father rubbed his face and realized why I had asked the questions I had. He was no longer angry but baffled.

“I haven’t heard her name for so long.” He said aloud looking to my mother who was now crying. They all turned eagerly to me.

“How do you know that name?” She asked me through sniffles.