Chapter Ten - Visions

Chapter Ten – Visions

As I drove the stolen P. P. A. Agent vehicle down every dirt road and side street I could find across the country, I watched as Scarlet and her sister slept head and head in the back seat like two innocent children. The feeling seemed somewhat familiar. I loved when I finally got my license to drive and my parents would allow me to navigate a move with the uncles.

As the cheerful memory of others from my past came to me I realized it was nothing but foolishness to dwell on a fake happy time and to focus on the mission at hand. I had gotten eerily close to my target now and the things to come excited me so sweetly. The mountainous rout I had taken was a calm ease to my hurting black eyes now. I couldn’t get used to beauty after the months in darkness I had lived in prior. It would have made me so much more relaxing to have simply fallen asleep forever.

We crossed over the Canadian border when I decided to stop for something to eat. I wasn’t hungry, I didn’t really eat, but I knew the girls, or at least Scarlet, would be. Delicately, I opened the back door to the hummer and tapped on her shoulder. Scarlet had not awoken but her tiny, injured sister did. Her little ghostly head popped up, something so much more faded about her now. Was she disappearing.

The girl has been taken far from her burial site. Not much longer and she will be gone completely.

When I thought about Scarlet’s sister disappearing I couldn’t quite focus on the reaction which was sure to follow. She was so protective over that tiny ghost girl that I was sure she might have my head. Never the less, we would have to move on.

“I was just…”

“Don’t talk to me. I met her, ya know. Pandora, that is. She came to me last night. I know all about you. I know what you are doing and I swear to god, if you hurt my sister…”

“Whoa, take it easy. It is not my intent to hurt your sister.” When I spoke now my voice sounded echoed. Scarlet did not stir during our conversation which indicated to me that this little spirit must have taken me into her thoughts. Now that I focused on it more, I realized my lips were not moving when I spoke.

“You hurt those men. I saw what you did! I won’t let that happen to my sister, even if I do disappear.”

She knew what was going to happen and yet she continued on this journey with us now. I turned to the small crowd of people inside of the store that had been watching me hover over Scarlet for nearly five minutes now involving curious looks spread across their faces.

“Nothing will happen to her, I promise.”

“The promises of a murderer mean nothing to me.”

With those words she was gone. I didn’t take her threat to heart thought. What could someone so small even bring to the table in a battle with someone like me? Master had trained me in the finest of fighting techniques through the dark and horrific months in his hideout. One small ghost? I had defeated and eaten worse.

“Hey, Scarlet?” I tapped her shoulder again. This time my lips moved and she began to awaken. As she sat up, the girls hair transformed before my eyes now unlike the many days of surprise colors and styles before. It shortened up again and turned into a cloudy white color as did her eyes.  There was something about this particular transformation I was rather fond of.

It was practically… angelic.

“Where is…”

“I haven’t seen her in a while. Do you think she is scared?” I interjected quickly.

What I had expected to be a mental breakdown in the absence of her only family was filled instead with a mere shrug and stretch of her arms. She yawned once and then sniffed the air.