Chapter 16 - The party

It has been a week now. A week since I had arrived in the USA. 

Life with Siddharth was lifeless. Everyday I followed the same cycle. 

Wake up, pray, cook, clean, do household chores and sleep.

The the midst of all of that, Siddharth would manage to pick a fight with me - whether it was about the clothes I was wearing or the food I cooked. 

I haven't spoken to my parents since I left India. I have been missing them dearly, however I can't find the courage to ask Siddharth to let me speak to them. You may wonder why I can't freely talk to them when Siddharth isn't home. The answer is because he has took my mobile phone away. The day I landed in the USA, one of the first things he did to me was take away my phone. He unplugs all the cords to the handphone at home, which means I can't access it. The days are gloomy and lonely with Siddharth. Siddharth spends all his time after work in his room, while I am always in the kitchen. The only time he speaks to me is when he is yelling or arguing about some petty issue. If I do something that he doesn't like, even if it is as small as making food he doesn't like, he resides to slap me and hurt me physically. My wrists and arms are covered in dark purple bruises, which resulted from the many times he'd hit me. When I look at myself in the mirror, it feels as if the Nisha I knew a few weeks ago has disappeared. I can't even force myself to smile now. Everyday I wake up with the hope that Siddharth may have changed, but it never happens.  Siddharth finds reasons to hate me, and punishes me for everything I do. Worst of all, I have nobody to turn to. Bill had told me to call him if Siddharth mistreats me, but his girlfriend Hannah is a vamp who I can't trust. She is part of the problem, as she is encouraging Siddharth to hate me. 

 Since today is a Sunday, Siddharth won't be working, which means I'll be stuck with that beast for a whole day.

He walks into the kitchen rubbing his eyes and yawning. 

"I'm hungry" He moans

Siddharth sometimes reminds me of a child. A child who can't take care of himself. At times I wonder how he lived before I came. Who would've been there to cook and cater for his needs. 

I shove the plate of pancakes towards him. 

"I have a party today" He says 

"Okay" I mutter stirring the hot cup of coffee I made for myself

"And you're coming with me" He says 

"B-But why?" I ask 

"It's a business party. A formal event. We have to bring our partners with us. And luckily for me, I have the best wife there is "He says sarcastically

"But what will I wear?" I question

"Oh crap. I forgot that you don't have any western dresses" He sighs 

"I can always buy some" I suggest

"Yeah, just take my money and spend it on your stupid clothes" He growls

"What else do you expect me to do Siddharth?" I ask

"Just take my credit card. Spend no more than 500. I'll ask Keerthi to come with you, she's my cousin" He says throwing me his credit card. 

Damn this guy was rich. 

Within moments Keerthi arrived on the doorstep. 

She was dressed in a bright yellow dress paired with turquoise  pumps. 

"Hey Nisha! I haven't met you before, have I. I'm Keerthi, Sid's cousin" She says with a beaming smile

"Just take her to the nearest mall, buy something fit for the occasion okay" Siddharth orders sternly