5.

GATE A4
SHAY

New York (JFK)

My Brooklyn apartment was unit one of four in an aging brownstone nestled between two busy streets. The front door was warped from the slumlord's lack of maintenance, the steps leading up to the building were cracked and uneven, and the windows were cheap and thin-letting in brutal drafts of cold wind during the winter months. Despite its many drawbacks, there was one amazing feature the brownstone offered: A large window in my bedroom and easy access to the black iron fire escape.

Carefully walking up the dilapidated stone steps, I jiggled the front door's handle a few times and pushed hard on the wood to let myself inside. Then I rushed up four flights, kicking up dust with every step.

As soon as I opened the door, I was met with array of white and blue balloon bouquets and a "Happy Birthday, Shay!" streamer strung high above the makeshift living room.

Smiling, I walked over to a massive silver gift box on the kitchen table and lifted its top. The handwritten card inside read:

Dear Shay,

I need you to go through the gifts inside this box first. Then read the card that's attached to the balloons by the sink.

Happy Birthday, and I love you!

-Your favorite (and best) roommate ever, Mer'

I set the card down and pulled the first item from the box-a short, red, one-shouldered Diane von Furstenberg dress that looked as if it would barely cover my thighs. Underneath it was a sparkling pair of silver Jimmy Choos. Four bottles of white wine stood at the bottom, and wedged in between them was a glittering charm bracelet with a plane and a New York taxi already attached.

I walked over to the sink and opened the larger card, but before I could read the first sentence, the sound of loud banging came through the walls.

Thump! Thump! THUMP!

"Oh god! Oh god!" Meredith called out. "Oh godddd! Yes! Yes! YESSSSS!"

Thump! Thump! THUMP!

"Hell yeah, babe." A deep voice grunted. "Hell yeah..."

The sound of skin slapping against skin and wet lips colliding again and again filled our hallway. The wall that separated her bedroom from the kitchen shook repeatedly, and the flimsy floorboards creaked with every bump of the bed.

I set down my birthday card as the moans and wall knocks became damn near deafening. Taking a seat at the bar, I made myself a cup of coffee and opened my email account.

From Ben. [Subject:] Open this message! You're the one with the most to lose...

From Ben. [Subject:] I know you see this email, Gillian. We belong together.

From Harry Potter. [Subject:] Free trip to Orlando inside!

From Sherlock Holmes. [Subject:] Urgent! Open me!

From Kimberly B. [Subject:] Checking in... [Open me]

From Nancy Drew. [Subject:] Surprise inside! Free unpublished story!

Groaning, I sent Ben's messages to spam and deleted the other four emails. The numerous bill collectors I owed had grown quite creative in their efforts to reach me, and I knew that the paper versions of their notices were probably awaiting me in my mailbox.

Before I could log off, two emails from Elite Airways popped onto my screen. Their subject lines read, Exciting Elite News! and New Routes & Changes Announced! so I deleted them as well. I was done getting my hopes up about receiving the ever elusive, 'Urgent: An Update to Your Employee Status" email.