Kingdom Of The Nanosaurs - chapter 6

6. The Cosmic Algorithm

Morgan spent the next few hours browsing the Internet. He needed to divert his attention away from the strange, lurking presence inside his mind. And he was desperate to find out what effect the comet had had upon the world. Website after website and blog after blog were buzzing with news reports, comment and eye witness accounts of the freak weather and the even freakier light storm. But it was the Vanishing as it had already been dubbed that dominated every wavelength and every gigabyte of bandwith across the entire globe.

The Vanishing, just as the angel predicted.

Cygnus Hyperbole had demonstrated its power over the planet. The most shattering series of natural disasters ever recorded had struck the Earth simultaneously. Sections of the California coastline had become detached; Bangladesh had experienced the worst floods in history; minor eruptions from two volcanoes had devastated towns and villages in Costa Rica; the tsunami had wreaked havoc across Indonesia; Australia had suffered its worst ever natural disaster as a tidal wave ripped open a remote section of its northern coast and there had been accelerated activity in the polar ice caps with icebergs as big as cities on the move. Even in the wild regions of northern Siberia, hailstones as large as footballs had smashed into the land.

The more Morgan browsed the more an icy depression dampened his spirit.

There hardly seemed to be a country or a region of the world that had not experienced unusual or freak weather conditions. Massive aid programmes had been set up but they seemed paltry and inconsequential in the wake of such events. Experts were reassuring the world that the worst was over; that the comet’s trajectory was taking it away from the Earth.

And the animal kingdom had vanished.

This was without doubt the most extraordinary and unexplainable event ever in the history of the planet. And the world was reeling. The implications of these events made Morgan feel sick and queasy. He was connected to these events. Unless he had experienced a prophetic vision on the cliff top then it could only mean one thing. THe angel named Oriel was real. And, if he had predicted the Vanishing and the Cosmic Algorithm then what about the Quest? And he couldn’t tell anyone. No one would believe a 15 year old who talked about Sun Angels, mysterious Guardians, Cosmic Algorithms or anything that could not be proven scientifically. But science did not have the answer this time.

Finally, he could take no more of it. That’s when fear hit him full on. He stopped, unable to move, conscious only of the swirling kaleidoscope of strange images, signs and symbols inside him. A strange, intangible terror gripped his insides as he thought about the world, his family and friends; as if a global war had been declared by some unseen enemy and the planet had experienced the first tremors of coming annihilation. He slipped out of back door and trudged down along the still waterlogged garden splashing his way to his favourite thinking spot by the river. He watched morosely the swirling water clogged with leaves, branches and debris and tried to relax. The sky had darkened into night but there were flashes of flickering pin pricks of light throughout the heavens: even the stars above Cambridge appeared to have shifted out of position while Cygnus Hyperbole had moved further along its elliptical orbit. Morgan looked back at the house looming like a great monolith with the yellowish light from ground floor windows flickering behind waving fronds of honeysuckle shifting in pearly fingers of mist.

Unaccountably, his mind turned to Lin. He had no idea why he had felt so protective towards her earlier. She had a cutting edge to her personality that Morgan had never encountered in anyone before and he liked the effect if was having on him. Maybe it was a typical west coast American attitude. When he had put his arm around her thin shoulders it was like being plugged into a kind of electricity. His limbs had become a little weak and wobbly. And when she had smiled at him before dinner it had the same effect. Feelings like these just weren’t logical.