Kingdom Of The Nanosaurs - chapter 9

9. Captured

The telephone had not stopped ringing in the Lane household. Most calls were from journalists threatening to blockade the house until the only animal left on Earth was paraded before them. Was it true the ape could talk? How had this scientific miracle happened? Coverage had started with the local press and spread to the national and international news media and internet news sites. A BBC TV researcher called requesting Morgans’s parents to take part in what was being billed as the most important television debate ever broadcast.

Morgan’s father tried to bluff his way out of trouble by suggesting that the journalist had photographed a child in a fancy dress outfit but it wasn’t succeeding.

“We’ll have the press camped outside our gates before we know it,” Morgan’s father told them. We’ve agreed to go on television. There is a debate on the whole world situation and there’s talk of a press conference. They want me to bring the Missing Link, as they’re calling Winston. I’ve denied the whole thing so we may have a little leeway. I’m on the BBC this afternoon,” Morgan’s father told them all. “Mom too. They want the opinion of a zoologist.”

Winston was sitting quietly in a corner looking as mystified as everyone else. Then the phone rang again on the table next to him and without thinking he picked it up and spoke.

“Hello, the Lane residence. Who is calling?”

The others stared at Winston almost unable to move.

“Oh, I see,” said Winston “Yes, I do know who you are. Me, oh, I’m a friend of the family. No, no, no – apes cannot talk, Mr Natzler. Yes, of course, I’ll hand you over.”

Morgan’s father took the phone from Winston and put it to his ear. He listened, at first in familiar recognition and then he turned pale. He sat down and stared at his wife.

“What do you mean?” he shouted down the phone. “You can’t do something like this just like that.” He paused and listened as the others watched. “I see,” he said. “What?” His father stood up again, his face wreathed with anger. “I’ll see you in court first,” he yelled and slammed down the receiver. “That was Marius Natzler. He has pulled the plug on the research programme. No warning. No discussion. He’s told the university. And, Winston, I’m afraid you didn’t manage to convince him. He owns the newspaper that journalist works for.”

“Oh my God!” said Morgan’s mother and she sat down. Morgan went cold. He almost knew what was coming next.

“That’s not the worst of it,” his father told them. “Marius Natzler is claiming legal ownership of all my research.”

“But, Dad, you kept the important details out of your reports. So he can’t make it work, can he?”

His father brightened. “Of course he can’t. Come on, we have to move fast. I’m going to clear the lab, empty the safe and move every scrap of data out of the house. I don’t trust Natzler and I don’t trust the university.”

“This is a university house,” Morgan’s mother reminded him. “They could throw us out on the street at any minute.”

“Then let’s move,” shouted Morgan.

“What about the BBC?” asked Lin.

“There’s time,” said the scientist.

Everyone helped to strip the lab, stacking essential equipment, data storage, computers and papers in boxes and suitcases, dismantling the molecular synthesizer ready to pack both cars to the gunwales, including the roof. Morgan’s father wasn’t sure where to take everything now it had been removed. The lab looked bare and lonely when they had finished. Morgan couldn’t help a surge of sadness as he gazed at the now empty room that had been such an important part of his growing up years.