Kingdom Of The Nanosaurs - chapter 13

13. Subterranean journey

Morgan took a step backwards and Lin clung to his arm, holding her slim iron bar in the other hand. In front of them, blocking their exit, stood Taurus. The minotaur was standing on two legs quite naturally but Morgan had seen how quickly he could change into a quadruped. Taurus stared down at the two children and his eyes steamed with venom. What had Natzler said? These nanosaurs were man’s best friend? Morgan could see that this particular nanosaur was simply unstable. He won’t harm you, van Linden had told them, well, he wouldn’t do you any serious damage. Morgan was not convinced. One touch from those mighty cloven hands could break bones or worse. Taurus may not actually be malevolent but he was not as controllable as they had been told.

Morgan knew they couldn’t trust this nano beast not to kill them instantly and without question. He knew from watching his father’s experiments how difficult it was to be one hundred percent sure of anything built by nanotechnology on this scale. There were too many uncertainties. Anyway, philosophical ponderings were not going to get them out of this prison.

“How do we get past him?” Lin whispered and Morgan could feel her trembling. “There’s only about a foot of space either side of him.”

“Maybe we lure him in and then make a dash for it,” suggested Morgan.

Taurus took one step forward.

“Well, that’s a start,” Morgan breathed deeply in attempt to stop his heart from racing. Instinctively he took out his gizmo and pointed the device at Taurus: and the gizmo began to hum.

“What are you doing?” cried Lin. “We don’t want to upset him.”

“Not sure,” he said. “It might cause some kind of reaction.”

Morgan was right. It did. The massive horns on the minotaur’s head began to revolve and wisps of hot, acrid smoke issued from his gaping nostrils. Taurus opened his mouth and a deep, terrifying rumble resonated from the beast that caused the entire cave to vibrate and its contents to crash to the floor.

“Stop it,” warned Lin. “Whatever you’re doing is making him mad.”

“If he has a limited brain then how can he have emotions?” Morgan mused. “I’m not sure he can get mad.”

Taurus raised a mighty hoof claw and stamped on the ground. The tremor started an avalanche inside the room. All around Morgan and Lin things were smashing, crashing to the ground, spinning, shattering and splintering. The children took another step backwards. Taurus took another step forwards. Then the minotaur roared and the heat from his breath almost singed Morgan’s eyebrows.

“Get ready to make a run for it,” he warned Lin. “His reactions can’t be that quick.” Morgan raised his right arm. Instantly Taurus followed suit.

“Oh yeah!” Lin was panting. “Okay, I’ll go left, you go right.”

Taurus seemed to understand. The nano beast stamped his huge feet and swirled his arms around, scything and smashing anything in reach. Dust billowed around them as Morgan and Lin retreated, coughing, half blinded and suffocated. Taurus took another step forwards.

“He’s getting mad,” shouted Morgan. “I’ll count to three.”

The room suddenly blazed with rainbow light. A creature about the size of a fox with spinning, kaleidoscopic wings and a body pulsating with energy fields suddenly appeared hovering in the air between the children and the minotaur. Bubbles of light poured from its mouth and floated in the air.

Lin was transfixed. “It’s beautiful. It’s talking to us. I can hear things inside my head.”

“Animus,” said Morgan in absolute wonder. “It must be Animus.”