Maybe

The rustling leaves of the trees swayed in sync with the breeze that wandered empty streets and parks.
Her scarf trailed behind her, while she kicked the rocks as far as she could; her shoe luckily absorbing most of the force.

Tonight was supposed to be their night, Y/N planned to take her girlfriend out and treat her to a fancy dinner and a good old tour in the city. She made reservations and she is not gonna lie; she did put a lot of effort into her appearance tonight.
But that didn't matter in the end seeing as she got ditched by Dua and left waiting in a restaurant. Her anxiety combined with the embarassment of being stood up  easily pushed this night to the top position of 'worst nights' ever.

Y/N repeatedly tapped her right foot on the tiles, her fingertips drumming on the wooden table as she fake smiled at the waiters/waitresses who shot her looks of pity behind her back. Dua should have been here a long time ago, she had a concert and promised to meet up afterwards to explore the city together, in response to Y/N complaining that they never spend time with each other anymore.
The Y/E/C girl hoped that this would be the first step to reconnect and make things like they used to be.

A notification appeared on Y/N's phone screen resulting in her immediately checking if it was Dua.

babygirl: Sorry, can't come, Paul visited, going out, don't wait up

She sighed. This wasn't how she imagined the evening to develop. Lately it's always been a pattern. Her gang or Paul would show up and they would take time together away. It was frustating knowing that you were her girlfriend, yet being the one she spends the least time with. It's like she was purposefully avoiding you.

She knew what she was getting into, dating her best friend who was also a rising popstar that traveled through mountains and seas. She knew that their time was very limited and it took no genius to figure out that the calls would become shorter, day by day. Sometimes she hoped this long distance relationship would have sustained, that maybe they were the exception that weathered the storm.

All she sees now is love in Dua's eyes.
But not when she is looking at her.

The Y/S/C [skin colour] girl froze in the biting cold of Tokyo. There was no doubt that her cheeks were rosy and cold as ice. Her eyes reflected the flashing lights of the advertisements and signs above her head as she neared the rather busy part of Tokyo. The night was beautiful although she couldn't share it with her girlfriend. All because she had let her go, she couldn't hold on tight enough but there is still this flicker of hope burning inside of her.
Perhaps the woman with a lovely British accent would still come back to her, loving her as if there was no tomorrow. Maybe if she saw how Y/N was the one for her, she would love her like she used to love Y/N.

Y/N shivered, tightening her scarf around her neck to prevent the warmth of escaping, standing alone in the middle of the bustling and bloooming heart of Tokyo. Everyone was in such a hurry, running home fast or trying to catch a cab; though she doubted it would work regarding the traffic. People laughed, drunken men stumbled onto the street, kids in their uniforms giggling through the night. She has never felt that lonely in a mass of people before.

Taking a deep breath she wrapped her coat closer and took a walk, stopping every now and then when something in the windows has caught her attention. Soon she found herself in the food place of the Japanese city, seeing tourists huddling around their tour guide or locals eating their favorite food. Her eyes glistened in the spare light of the street-lamp.

That could have been her and Dua, right there watching the moon come out in this garden where lotus and other exotic flowers bloomed, the green adorning the old wooden fence and chairs. It seemed so idyllic, so perfect and Y/N realized that the couple would have never fit in. It would have been too awkward, neither knowing how to strike up a conversation. They grew apart even though she joined the tour in order to at least wake up to the love of her life everyday, even if that would be the only time she got to touch her skin.