Toxic

It will never be enough. All the promises held so much meaning; the only thing that steadied your fall. Who would catch you now?

You weren't in a good place. The opposite, actually. Emotionally drained, just purely exhausted and your mind started to play games with you.

Your muscles were aching. When did you get so out of shape, when did you allow yourself to be so weak?

Loneliness consumed you. Holding your breath, trying to stop time. All you wanted was a small break. To just escape for a while, take a vacation and when you'd come back the world still remains intact; the clock would start ticking again.

Gently, a small hand laid upon your shoulder, providing a warmth you have missed. It has been too long since you had any contact.

Sarah leaned down to your ear and whispered.

"Are you okay? You've been zooming out a lot lately."

The worry was evident in her voice, her soft voice like honey on her tongue; it has always soothed and calmed you. She brought you back to reality.

"Oh, sure. Just tired." You stood from the bar stool, putting down your wine glass on the rustical wooden counter.

You haven't taken one sip.

Sarah encouraged you to join your friends on the dancefloor and you complied. Has she noticed the pain in your eyes?

Here you sat, moping alone like a total loser.

Right now you were moving your body to the rhythm of the music. You felt the bass like a deep rumbling in your chest. It was not unpleasant. One might say it was an exciting feeling, the beat of your heart echoing.

After dancing for a while you wiped off the sweat from your forehead, moving towards the bar once more.

Ordering a new drink you leaned back and relaxed, your gaze sweeping over the crowd, analysing all the different kinds of people who mingled out there.

Somehow you managed to spot the one person you tried your best to avoid. Seems like she has a new man by her side again. She's always been a wild spirit. She's the predator and we all are the prey.

How could someone ever resist Dua Lipa and her charming ways?

Opposed to what one may think, you don't want to appear like you are slut-shaming her. This whole concept is total bull anyway created by patriarchy as a way to control a woman's body and her actions. But you weren't gonna get into that now.

You sighed, chugging down half of your drink. The liquid was equally cold and warm, the aftertaste pleasantly burning in your throat.

The thing bothering you is how little value you apparently hold.

For her, you are just a warm body.

Intertwining with hers under the dark sky, filled with dreams and hopes.

How high would you have to strive?
How deep would you fall?

All the shine of a thousand spotlights will never be enough.

All the stars you'd steal from the nightsky will never be enough.

Towers of gold are still to little;

your hands could hold the world but it will never be enough.

For her you would never be enough.