IX.

"Yo, the fuck! We sent you off for what should have taken 1 or 2 hours, but nOoOoOo, you had to spend several hours away, silent, letting us suffer, wondering if you two are even alive, and then you call us saying, 'uh, yeah, so, like, Jeffershit kinda, like, kidnapped us???'" Peggy shouts at us. "Holy fucking Jesus on a boat, you... you... you.... IMBECILES!"

"I, uh..." I stutter as Peggy gets all up in my face.

"Calm down, she's always like this." Lafayette walks by, patting my shoulder. "Better get used to it now, you're stuck with us forever." He says smoothly.

"Everyone calm your shit." Angelica intervenes, "I don't give two flying fucks about this game anymore, and I know none of you do either, so why don't we just crash at someone's cabin for the night?"

"Ooh! I have a whole stash of candy at my place! We could go there and just hang out until the sun comes up!"

Everyone else seems good with this idea. A yawn escapes my lips and I debate the idea's in my head. One, go along with the rest of them and be so completely exhausted in the morning that I can't function, or two, go back to my cabin and get a few measly hours of sleep and be able to actually be productive tomorrow.

"I think I'm actually going to go to my place for a while so I can sleep." I say. "See you guys tomorrow!"

I take a flashlight from someone and turn around on the road. I click the light on, and see the concrete stretched in front of me. I yawn again. God, what time is it?

I look down at my phone. Beach waves appear on the bright screen as I wake it up. I squint my eyes. 2:36. How is it this late? Early? I don't even know. Once again I yawn, and I start heading off to my nice, soft bed.

I shiver as the wind blows around me. There was barely any breeze during the day. I wonder if it'll die down by morning, or if that camp flag will be flapping as fast as it can.

I hum a little tune as I open my door. Flicking the lights on, I walk right on in and flop on my bed. There is no way in hell I'm changing my clothes before falling asleep. If I were an iPhone, I'd have -3 percent battery.

I fall asleep with the lights on, and drift right to sleep.

///

I groan as my alarm wakes me up. I was told that all counsellors have to wake up, get ready, and down to the cafeteria before 7:30 for breakfast, or else we won't get any food until lunch, so I'd had this alarm set up for the past week. Trying to adjust my eyes to the light, I start getting dressed. Stripping off the day-old clothes and grabbing new ones from my suitcase. Undoing my hair and re-tying it in a pony tail. Brushing my teeth at the small sink stuck in the corner of the cabin. Applying sunscreen because sunburns hurt like a bitch. Putting sandals on over my socks.

Alright, now I'm kidding. I'm definitely not a carbon copy of my dad. I swear, every time we step out of the house together, I pretend not to know him.

I decide to sit down on my bed and just scroll through social media for a few minutes. I see some old friend's selfies, a few celebrity updates, and eventually a couple pictures of my family at the beach, posted by my sister. I laugh a little as a video shows up on my feed. James had a tiny crab crawling around in the palm of his hand, which subsequently led to it falling off and Henry stepping on it. Martha and Mary's laughs could be heard offscreen, including my mom chuckling. I like the video and keep scrolling.

Everyone else seems to be having fun at a beach. Why did I sign up to spend weeks watching small children for chump change? I don't even have an answer for that one. Go on, roast me. I don't even care anymore. Whatever.