XXXI

"Hey," I whisper. A black shadowy blob comes out from the darkness.

"I can't believe I haven't been able to talk to you since this morning! I told you that we'd never see each other!"

"Calm down, Alex. It's the first day, everyone's getting settled in. I pinky-dinky promise to come stop by your table at breakfast, and we can hang out while the kids are doing their activities."

"You promise?"

"Yes, Alex, I promise." I say as he pulls me close. Even though it's the middle of summer and 112 degrees during the day, it's practically freezing at night. His body is the only source of heat I have right now.

He looks up at me. Exactly half of his face is hidden in shadow, the bright yellow-orange street lights illuminating the other half.

"We probably need to go back inside." My voice comes out a whisper. I wish I could spend more time out here with him, but I gotta responsibility I signed up for. And if some counsellor decided to take a nice nightly stroll down the specific path our cabin is on, we'd be spotted.

Alex was the one who said he wanted to wait a little longer.

"We've been talking barely 2 minutes!" He whisper-shouts. He might be oblivious, but he's not dumb enough to raise his voice when we're trying to be stealth and sneaky.

"There are half a dozen 8-year-olds in a small shed that need you, their protective-adult-person-thing. What if a poisonous wasp got in the cabin and stung someone?"

"Survival of the fittest."

"Jesus Christ, that is morbid!" I sigh and turn around toward my cabin. "And on that happy note, I'm going inside. Goodnight, Alexander."

"Wait!" He says as he spins me around. He plants a chaste kiss on my cheek before shoving me towards my door and scrambling off. Hopefully he can figure out how to open the door without waking the whole camp.