Chapter 16

Within ten seconds, the door opened.
          I saw my mom behind the door, her eyes widening as she saw the scene playing before her.
           "Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh? Asher! What...who-" My mom said, getting flustered immediately.
          "Quick synopses: This is Riley, we were partners on that project. We were both set up by the two people we were hanging out with, they were actually dating each other. So they tricked me and Riley to turn against each other, then we ended up going to Gebor's where we found out what they had done. Long story short they beat up Riley and her parents aren't at her home to take care of her, and she can't take care of herself," I explained, talking quickly and mumbling quite a bit.
         My mom looked more shocked than before. "Ok explain that again later, but Riley is going to stay here and I'll make sure to give her the best stay she could possibly get," she looked down at Riley. "I'm really sorry sweetheart, I'll make you some tea and a comfy place to sleep," she said to her. She stepped aside and I walked in, going to the living room and laying Riley gently down on the couch.
            I sat down beside her, next to where here head was. I grabbed the pillow beside me and gently picked up Riley's head and slid the pillow under there, laying her head gently back down on the pillow.
            I sighed, slouching back into the couch. This has been a long day.
          Riley looked up at me, and I looked back down. At this moment, we both realized how much pain we were both in. We realized what had just happened. We realized what was happening now.
          She started to get teary-eyed, overwhelm just flooding her.
         I needed to help. I felt so bad. I stood up, gently taking her hands to help her sit up.
         Once she was sitting now, I sat back down beside her and wrapped my arms around her. She buried her face in my chest, starting to sob quietly.
         I started to rub her arm gently, trying to comfort her. "It's ok, it's ok. They're done. You can trust me," I said gently.
         She wrapped her arms around me now, giving in to her doubts. I knew she had some worry that I was another fake like Kayden, and I don't know how long it will take her to fully trust someone again. Maybe a few days. Maybe a couple weeks. Maybe a month, or even a year. I don't know, but I'll wait and give her all the time that she needs.
           This was all too much for someone of our age to go through. Too much for anyone to go through.
          She took her head off of my chest and wiped away her remaining tears. She sniffled a couple times, then sunk back into the couch.
           I heard footsteps, and then saw my mom come in with three mugs in her hands. She sat down on the other side of Riley and handed me my mug.
         "Do you like hot tea with honey?" My Mom asked Riley. She nodded. My mom handed her a mug, Riley thanking her.
          "So, start from the beginning. How and what exactly happened?" My mom asked.
           I started to explain. I started from what I did to Riley when she came out of the bathroom, when I took that picture. I ended with "And now we're here."
         My mom looked shocked. So shocked and horrified.
         "They did that to you? They beat up someone this bad just because they didn't like you?"  She said, getting frustrated.
         Riley and I both nodded.  My mom sat frozen, not knowing what to do or say. She took a sip of her tea.
          "Ok, it's getting late, so tomorrow I can take you to the doctors. You need to go. Don't bother asking your parents, they seem like they wouldn't care. Kayden, can you take her up to bed?" She said, and I nodded. She said goodnight to us, and I stood back up.
           "Brace yourself," I said to Riley before scooping my arms under her and picking her up like before. I didn't even think about how light she was before. Too light.
          I started going up the stairs, going slowly to make sure I was being gentle. Once at my bedroom, I opened the door and walked to the bed. I set her down on the one side, closed the door, then laid down beside her. I grabbed the covers, pulling them up over both of us.
         "Goodnight," I whispered to Riley, then closing my eyes.
          But, I quickly opened them back up as I heard and felt her rolling over so she was facing me.
           "Goodnight Asher," she said, and I finally saw and heard how exhausted and worried she was. Her voice cracked, her eyes tired, she just seemed so tense and worried.
           I bit my bottom lip. I have never felt so bad for one person before. Just two weeks ago I would laugh at people that were hurting like this. I'm disgusted by myself. Why hadn't I realized I was a terrible person before?
           I looked at Riley. Her eyes just shone with how tired she was. So worried. So anxious, yet exhausted. So broken.
            "I'm sorry. I'm so, so, so sorry. I was a total jerk, and I know that now, and I can't believe I would do that. I..I-I-" She cut me off once again, leaning forward and pressing her lips against mine.
            She pulled back and started shaking. I could just feel how many thoughts were flying through her mind. I wrapped my arm around her, and I could literally feel her relax.
            She moved closer to me, snuggling her head right by my chest. I closed my eyes, finally feeling like a real person. With real feelings. Real happiness.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:
Ahh I'm so sorry I haven't posted in so long! Also 575 reads? holy crap. Thank you so much for merely clicking on this. I was thinking of doing the epilogue next, I don't want to drag this story out too long. Plus, I would like to start another one that will probably be more fiction with supernatural aspects. Thank you all and please, if you have time, comment if you would like the epilogue next!