Chapter 9

Despite his unwavering sense of self-preservation, Lob's curiosity had gotten the better of him, and he hadn't been able to resist a cautious peek through the attic's small, dusty window. As he watched, a uniformed man, holding what he assumed to be some sort of weapon, cautiously approached the gargantuan bird standing in the neighbour's back-yard.

Lob shook his head, muttering to himself, "You don't want to get too close to a roc, mate.  'Specially not a big bugger like that one."  He flinched as there was a sudden flurry of movement, after which the only sign of the man was his weapon, lying forlornly on the grass.  "See?"

There were a few seconds of pregnant silence as the roc settled back into its former position, before the night air was torn asunder with the bangs and flashes of multiple guns opening fire.  Rearing back, the colossal creature spread its wings, blacking out half the night sky as it unleashed a deafening shriek of fury.

"Oh, shit."  Lob scurried back to the trunk and clambered in, slamming the lid shut behind him.  "Now they've really pissed it off."

"Cease fire!" bellowed Kowolski, crouched behind the open door of his car

"Cease fire!" bellowed Kowolski, crouched behind the open door of his car.  "Lower your weapons!  CEASE FIRE!"  It was no use.  Wide-eyed with terror, the local police officers he'd summoned as backup continued to blaze away at the nightmarish bird rearing over them, heedless of the fact they only seemed to be making it angrier.

His instructors at the academy had been distressingly remiss when it came to the issue of dealing with a bird the size of a building, so for want of any better options, he'd called the local zoo.  He'd had a very bad feeling about letting the man they sent go anywhere near the creature, but the zookeeper had insisted, claiming his tranquiliser gun only had a limited range.

"Don't worry," the bearded man had reassured him, with a smile.  "I can fire once I'm about thirty metres away, which will be much too far for it to attack me."  His smile had turned slightly dreamy.  "Besides, it will give me a chance to have a closer look.  Have you ever seen such a magnificent creature?"

Well, you're certainly getting a close look nowBloody hippy.  Taking a deep breath, Kowolski steeled himself to once again try to restore some control, but his yell was cut short by a flash of light from the windows of the house next-door to the one with the bird.  Moments later, a phalanx of dark-clad figures emerged from the yard, at a run.  What the hell?

He assumed the newcomers must be trying to escape from the hellish creature, but then—to his astonishment—they actually ran towards it.  Drawing his handgun, he yelled to the group, more in warning than as a challenge, but his voice was lost in the deafening background din of gunfire, shouting and screeching.  The people ran on, regardless.  Swallowing, Kowolski glanced up at the head of the bird, whipping back and forth as it shrieked its rage, and after taking a moment to steel himself, bolted from cover, intent on intercepting the strangers.

As he drew closer, he became aware that the rearmost member of the group was hauling somebody along behind him—somebody who seemed to be resisting.  He could soon see that the reluctant person was a woman, and the only one not dressed entirely in black.