Chapter 26

Karzil Li had proven to be somewhat of a disappointment, his resilience not at all what his impressive physical stature suggested it might have been. Nonetheless, Vardun's session with the warlord had been sufficient to remove the edge from his temper, and in his calmer state he had become aware of a niggling sensation, an awareness that he now realised had been growing in his mind, for some time. Back in his chambers, he paused in the act of changing his clothing, frowning as he focused on the sensation. His eyes widened momentarily, and as he reached for his robe, his features formed into a slow, satisfied smile. The Blade was near.

"'Ere, who's that messin' about up on the roof?" Gnomes generally had excellent eyesight, and despite his advanced age, Bup was no exception

All Korbus could see was an indistinct group of figures, but he wasn't about to admit it. "Probably just some guards."

"Nah, I don't reckon. None of 'em are in black, and a couple of 'em are wenches. There's a big bugger, and there's somethin' little flittin' about, as well. Could be a fairy. Or maybe a really big cockroach."

Korbus shuddered. "Can't stand those bloody things. Or cockroaches." Despite himself, he was sufficiently intrigued to grudgingly reveal that he couldn't see quite as much as his friend. "What are they up to, then?"

"Runnin' about like idiots, for the most part."

In the mad dash to evade their pursuers, Laya had led her little group onto any staircase leading upwards, working on the assumption that if the dungeons were below ground, then increasing their elevation had to be a good thing, in terms of findin...

In the mad dash to evade their pursuers, Laya had led her little group onto any staircase leading upwards, working on the assumption that if the dungeons were below ground, then increasing their elevation had to be a good thing, in terms of finding a way out. Unfortunately, it now seemed as though they may have overshot the mark.

"Ah, to feel the invigorating warmth and rejuvenating glow of the magnificent Volandan sun, and to glory in the vivid blue of the endless sky, stretching—"

"Roderund, if you don't shut your mouth, it's going to wind up full of my fist."

"Ha-ha, what a jester you are, my dear. Quite clearly your unwieldy, human-sized fist would never fit in my perfectly-formed fairy mouth."

"Maybe not, but I'm going to give it a try, if you don't put a cork in it, right now. Help Marie find something to barricade the door, while Danus and I hold it shut."