Chapter 27

Chapter 27

Me and Hannah had been aimlessly walking around the hospital together, crying, for at least half an hour before we went back to Cameron's room. Ryan had stayed in there with my parents, comforting them.

"Hi, girls," my mother said with a weak smile when me and Hannah walked back in.

"Hey," we said in unison.

I frowned at my parents, "Guys, you look completely drained. Why don't you go home for the night? We'll stay here with Cameron."

My voice cracked when I said his name.

My parents exchanged a tired look then my mom said, "We'd really hate to leave him..."

"Mom, he's not going anywhere. Go home. Get some sleep. Come back in the morning. We'll sleep here. We'll be fine. You two need rest," I insisted.

They hesitated a moment, but finally nodded. They each gave me a hug then left.

Me, Hannah, and Ryan all sat there together for an hour, making random small talk.

"I'm going to go walk around alone for a while if you two don't mind," Hannah said, standing up.

"Of course not, go ahead," Ryan nodded.

Then Hannah left me and Ryan alone with Cameron.

I stared at my unconscious brother. Tears sprang to my eyes. I tried to hold them in, but they began to slip down my cheeks.

"He looks dead," I said quietly, partially to Ryan, partially to myself.

"Lexi, he's going to be okay," Ryan assured me, but I could hear his own doubt in his voice.

"He's such an amazing brother. I don't know what I'll do if I loose him," I choked out.

"Lexi," Ryan whispered my name as he wrapped me up in a hug.

I cried into his chest for ten minutes before I could make myself calm down. I sniffled then looked up at him through my tears.

Ryan looked like he was thinking about saying something.

He finally asked, "Do you want some time alone with him?"

I hesitated. I kind of did, but I wasn't sure if I could handle it. I finally decided I did want to be alone with him. Ryan said he'd walk around the hospital for a while so I could be alone. I thanked him with a light kiss on the cheek.

Ryan exited the room, leaving me alone with Cameron.

I collapsed into the chair next to Cameron's bed and cried into my hands. I stayed like that for about five minute before I pulled myself together. I wiped my tears then stared at Cameron's unmoving body.

Looking lifeless, being hooked up to so many machines, Cameron hardly seemed like Cameron anymore.

I took a deep breath then pushed it out and whispered, "Cameron. Please don't leave me. Please."

Cameron didn't even stir. I wasn't sure if he could hear me, but I had some things I needed to say just in case he never woke up.

I held my breath then let it out, "Cameron, I don't know if you can hear me, but if you can, there's some things I need to say."

I felt the tears coming back and pinched my eyes shut to keep them in. Once the threat of tears had left, I reopened my eyes and continued, "You're the best brother ever, Cam Cam."

The tears immediately came back, but this time I went on, "You've helped me through so much. I know this sounds totally cliché, but I honestly don't know what I'd have ever done without you. You have always been there for me no matter what. You protected me and always had my back. You supported me and believed in me with everything I've ever done. I've always been able to count on you. I can never thank you enough for all you've done for me."

My tears had basically turned into river flowing down my face by now, but I kept choking out my words. I took my brother's hand in mine.

After clearing my throat, I asked, "Cameron, do you remember that promise you'd made me when we were kids. I was only seven, but I remember it as if it were yesterday."

I paused a moment as if he'd actually answer, then continued, "We were eating a snack in the kitchen. You had acted like the food was poisoned and then acted like you were dead. I was crying so hard. I was trying to shake you to wake you up. Then you popped open your eyes and tackled me to scare me. You started laughing, but stopped when I kept crying. I asked you to promise that you'd never leave me, you'd never die. You hugged me tightly and promised that you wouldn't."

Tears were streaming down my cheeks again. My heart was hurting so bad, but I had to keep going.

I whispered to my brother, "Cam... You can't die. You can't leave me. You promised that you wouldn't. You promised me that you wouldn't die. Please don't leave me. I need you. Mom and Dad need you. Please wake up."

I stared at him, hoping with every once of my being that his eyes would open. But they didn't. They remained closed he remained motionless.

I watched as one of my tears fell from my cheek and landed on Cameron's hospital dress. I dug my face into his chest, still gripping his hand, and began sobbing. I stayed like that for the next half hour until Ryan and Hannah returned together.

"Hey, Lexi." Ryan held up a Burger King bag. "We brought you food."

I wasn't hungry. But I'd feel bad if I didn't take it.

I took the bag from him and muttered a thanks. After eating my dinner, I laid down on the fold out couch while Hannah and Ryan watched tv. I closed my eyes. I was so exhausted that I fell asleep instantly.

A/N: I CRIED SO MUCH AS I WROTE THIS CHAPTER. PLEASE LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS. Comment/vote/share! <3