Chapter Eight - Satin Sheets

Xavier led me down the hallway.

For an old man, he moved quickly. He moved with certainty, too. I could imagine that Xavier probably knew every hallway and staircase by heart.

"Where do you think he is?" I asked.

"I'm not sure," Xavier said, "I think he might be in his study. He has a lot of his meetings there."

We were practically running down the steps to the second floor.

Through the window, I could see the sun setting behind the mountains off in the distance.

We've got to hurry.

Once we reached the main entrance to the second floor, I could quickly tell there was a much heavier flow of traffic through that part of the castle than there was in the living quarters.

Men and women were walking everywhere. Xavier and I passed an office room where I saw people sitting at desks and staring at computer screens, some of them in engaged in heated telephone conversations.

"Who are those people?" I asked.

"That's the communication department," Xavier explained. "Most of the people in that room can speak languages you and I have never even heard of. It's how we keep in touch with others of our kind around the world. It's also how we stay informed of other affairs."

I raised an eyebrow at this, but continued to follow him down the bustling hallway.

We came to one more hallway that everyone was walking right past and Xavier stopped.

He gave a groan of frustration and threw his hands in the air.

"What is it?" I asked.

"They're not going to let us in," he said. "He's probably in a meeting."

I looked to where he gestured and saw two tall men guarding the only door on the hallway.

"They have to let us in!" I said walking over to them.

The two men stepped in front of me before I could reach the door.

"I need to go in," I explained, "it's urgent."

"I'm sorry, ma'am. We can't let you in unless you have the proper documentation to access the Alpha Superior's chambers during delegation processes."

"What?" I asked incredulously. "I'm his mate! Is that not good enough?"

They didn't answer me.

"Evelyn, they can't let you in," Xavier said, pulling me back. "No one is allowed into the Alpha's chambers unless called upon to do so. Men who go in there otherwise have ended up dead."

I yanked my arm out of his grasp.

"It's a good thing I'm not a man, then," I said.

I ran towards the guards and, ducking under their arms, was able to slide in between them on the floor.

I pushed the door open quickly and ran inside.

"Evelyn!" Xavier shouted.

The guards quickly stopped him from running in behind me.

I came face to face with a wall. To my left and right were both passages leading into different rooms.

But which one is he in?

I heard the guards coming after me so I ran to my left.

This room looked like a library, a large desk sat in the middle of the room, but there was no one occupying it.