Chapter Thirty-Three - Past Your Bedtime

"Bitten?"

I saw Jace and Adam exchange a wary look between them.

"We can't talk about it here," Adam said to me in a low voice.

My eyebrows furrowed and I almost said something in response to his vagueness. However, Mrs. Chandler entered the room and Adam shook his head, warning me not to say anything else about it.

Her face lit up when she saw me and she walked over to give me a big hug.

"Look at you!" She said, holding up my left hand to inspect my engagement ring. "You're getting married!"

I tried to smile sincerely—as she seemed genuinely happy about the news—but I couldn't forget about Mr. Chandler no matter how hard I tried.

"Happy late birthday as well, Evie! How was Germany?" She asked.

Adam cleared his throat awkwardly.

I gathered from this ambiguous gesture that it probably wasn't a good idea to tell her about narrowly avoiding my throat being slit.

"It was great!" I lied, giving her a fake smile.

She didn't seem to catch on and simply smiled and turned to Adam.

"You did good," she said, referencing the ring.

"Thank you," He said smiling.

Adam was a lot better at faking it than I was.

"I'm glad you're back safely," she said sighing.

Mrs. Chandler turned and walked over to Mr. Chandler's bedside and sat down next to him, taking his hand in hers.

Almost immediately after she had done so, the door opened once again and Dr. Zosak walked in, accompanied by a nurse in black scrubs. Dr. Zosak acknowledged Adam, Jace and myself with a nod and a smile before turning to Mrs. Chandler.

"Is he still sleeping?" He asked.

She nodded, running her hand soothingly along Mr. Chandler's arm.

"That's good," He said as he was handed a clipboard by the nurse.

"We're going to give him some antibiotics to make sure the wound doesn't infect further," Dr. Zosak assured her. "I'm also going to give him something for the pain. It will keep him asleep, but he'll be resting, which is good."

She nodded and turned her attention to the nurse who was injecting a vial of something into Mr. Chandlers I.V.

"We'll leave you to it," Adam said to Dr. Zosak. "I want a copy of your report on my desk in two hours."

Dr. Zosak nodded and turned to aid the nurse who was checking Mr. Chandler's vitals.

I took one last look at Mr. Chandler and the wound on his leg before Adam had grabbed my hand and pulled me out of the room.

"I want to know how long that bite's been on his leg, how it got there, and who put it there," Adam said to Jace as we left the hospital ward.