Chapter Fifteen - Drunken Demons

Hearing the door close, my eyes opened.

It was still nighttime, moonlight flooded the room through the windows.

I sat up to find Adam missing from his spot beside me.

Where could he be?

The bathroom light was off and he wasn't in the room.

I laid back down, telling myself he probably got up to check on his dad.

I sighed heavily, now wide awake. My mind immediately kicked into high gear, thinking of all the things that could be wrong.

It's probably nothing, I told myself.

I tried to go back to sleep, but nearly an hour passed and Adam still had not returned.

I sat up and looked at the clock.

Where could he be at 2 o'clock in the morning?

I got out of the bed and peeked my head outside the bedroom door.

The hallway was empty, except for two men standing guard at Malcom's door.

I closed the door and thought.

What if something is wrong?

I knew I would never go back to sleep if I continued to worry about it.

I put on a pair of Adam's sweatpants and one of his sweatshirts.

He won't mind, I thought as I slid them on.

I left the bedroom, nodding to the guards as I passed them. Neither of them acknowledged me.

The castle was frightfully dark and quiet at night.

Where moonlight found it's way in through windows, it cast odd shadows against the walls.

I descended the stairs slowly.

Once I made my way down the main hallway, I turned down another. As I rounded the corner, I ran into a hard chest and screamed.

A hand clamped down over my mouth.

"What is your issue?"

It was Jace.

He took his hand away and I sighed in relief. "You scared me."

"Clearly. What are you doing up?"

"Midnight snack..."

It sounded like more of a question, but it was all I could think of in the moment.

The look on Jace's face was unreadable.

"Kitchen is that way."

He pointed behind me and I laughed nervously.

"Right."

"I'll help you get there," he said putting his hand on my shoulder and guiding me in that direction. "Wouldn't want you getting lost in this place, it would take us days to find you."