Chapter Sixteen - Possession

Unknown P.O.V.

"Do you realize what you've done?!"

She sighed, unamused at his outburst.

"Relax. I've wiped his mind."

His face was red with rage.

"And if he wakes up and remembers? What will you do then? It will destroy all her trust!"

She scoffed.

"Her idiot father destroyed her ability to trust. We just have to work before she can find out what we're up to."

He was trying not to strangle her.

"Do you know how far I've traveled? How long I've waited? If you've screwed this up, you will pay for it."

She gulped at the threat.

"We'll make our move during the Centennial. Can you manage not to screw anything up until then?" He asked.

She nodded and he sighed.

"One more week. Then, the throne will be ours."

- - -

Evelyn's P.O.V.

"This is where you'll be staying."

I opened the bedroom door for Mrs. Chandler and showed her the room.

"Vega and the boys' rooms are just across the hall there," I said, pointing that way.

She gave me a tight lipped smile and hugged me.

"Thank you for everything."

My heart broke watching her move about with such frailty. She was a strong woman and bold, too. I had never seen her act so quietly. I couldn't imagine the toll this had to be taking.

"You're only a five minute walk from your husband's room, Mrs. Chandler. He'll have around-the-clock care provided by my staff and you're welcome to visit whenever and however long you'd like," Adam added.

"Thank you," she said.

Her bags were brought in by a couple of men who had followed us from the foyer and she stared at them with heavy eyelids.

"I'm sure you're tired from the flight, so we'll let you get some rest. There's a guard down the hall, let him know when you're hungry or if you need anything and he will make sure you're taken care of," I said softly.

"Make yourself at home," Adam said, giving her a warm smile.

I nodded in agreement.

It was hard leaving her room. I wanted to stay and hug her and tell her everything was going to be alright. I wanted to comfort her. I wanted to fix Mr. Chandler and restore his mind.

But I couldn't.

Adam ushered me out and closed the door behind us.