Second curiosity

- Sure, but I never believed in them.

- Don't you? Well, you should. This story probably will help you. The only thing I ask is that you get comfortable, that you close your eyes and let yourself go.

------------------------------------------------------

Seattle, September 24, 2017

I remember myself getting lost in the streets of the city while I was smoking and listening to the album Nevermind by Nirvana. At that time I was twenty years old, just like you, and I had been listening to that group for as long as I could remember.

That same day it was twenty-six years since the release of that album and I was depressed because I had to assume once again that I'd never listen to those songs live because the singer, Kurt Cobain, the one with his face on your shirt, had committed suicide with a shot in the head on April 5, one thousand nine hundred and ninety four. Or at least that's what everyone wanted people to think.

I remember the perfection of that day, it seems it would have been yesterday. I can still remember the special taste of that beer I had at the bar on the corner of a street on the outskirts of Seattle.

I used to visit Sindy's Cafe frequently because it was away from the center of the city. I always liked the tranquility of the outskirts of Seattle because it seemed like it was a town.

It was already the fourth cigarette that I smoked me when an old man sat next to me and began to stare at me.

- Something wrong? -I asked, giving him a slightly uncomfortable look.

- Have you heard about travel in time?

I was puzzled by that question. I didn't know what was coming, nor did I know who this man was.

- Yes. Who are you?

- It doesn't matter. Would you like to travel in time?

The man's voice was very serious and torn, I can admit that he intimidated me enough, but at the same time I was curious. Also, I assumed he was crazy and decided to follow the conversation.

- It's obvious that yes, as to the whole world.

- And why haven't you done it already?

- Because those trips are impossible.

- You say that because you've never traveled.

- Did you do it?

- Yes.

- And why are you talking specifically to me?

- Because I've noticed something of nostalgia on your face. Tell me girl, who do you miss?

- Nobody.

- Your look doesn't say the same.

My eyes left theirs behind and they were lost in the road while listening to the roar of the engines of the few cars that passed by that old road.

- Silence says much more than any word, did you know that?

I remained silent while the cigar was consumed between my lips.

- What if I tell you to trust this crazy old man and teach you to travel back in time? You could go to the year you want and be with that person you have in mind.

- How do you know who I'm thinking about?

- I don't know who it will be. I only know that he or she's an important person, your eyes say it.

After saving a few seconds of silence I decided to accept his invitation. I decided to trust a crazy old man who approached me at a bar outside of Seattle that said he knew how to travel back in time. To this day I still don't know his name, but I'm eternally grateful and I'm glad that I trusted him. It was the greatest proof someone could have given me to prove that appearances are deceiving.

- Take me to 1991.

The man accepted, rose carefully from the chair and waved me to follow him.

The way lasted about twenty minutes and we didn't cross a word. There was a time when I thought about turning around because it could be that this man tried to take advantage of me or something like that, but something told me that nothing was going to happen, that I trusted him, so it was.

We arrived at an abandoned petrol station on a secondary road.

- This road used to be the main entrance to Seattle. -he said pointing to that abandoned road.

The man continued walking until arriving at the old baths of that gas station.

- Listen to me, girl. Do you see these bathrooms? Well, with the passage of time they have become portals. Before crossing them you have to take into account one thing: small changes in the past can produce great alterations in the present. So don't touch anything. Pay attention to this old crazy man, girl, everything will be better if you leave things as they are. When you want to return to the present, you should bear in mind that only three minutes have passed here for each year you are there, do you understand? This has a downside and is that you can't go back to the past you were in. You will never be able to return. To return here, all you have to do is press the tile that is just above the mirror, as well as to go to the past.

- Okay...

I went to the women's bathroom door and opened the door.

- Wait! Remember very well what I have told you. Don't change anything, in fact, the past doesn't want to be changed, so there will be several things that prevent you from doing it. That's all girl, enjoy.

I nodded and smiled.

- Thank you very much.

I entered the bathroom and noticed that each and every tile was dirty due to the accumulated humidity and lack of cleanliness. I visualized the mirror and above it the tile to which the man outside was referring.

I took a deep breath a couple of times and rested the palm of my hand on him with my eyes closed. I felt absolutely nothing and I thought that everything was a lie of the old man and that he was going to enter the bathroom to rape me at any time, but something totally unexpected happened instead.

- Can you go out once and please? You've been in there for fifteen minutes!