Fifteenth relapse

But the good never lasts for a long time and Kurt relapsed into heroin. I tried to do everything in my power to avoid it, but it was impossible. His stomach was killing him and the doctors didn't find the cure, unlike how it happened at the end of my reality.

- Don't do it Kurt!

- I can't stand Narel anymore! I'm dying inside!

- But that shit will kill you!

- At least I won't suffer.

That was the last thing he said before he injected himself with a good dose of the drug and dropped on his back on the bed. It was the third time he had done it in the week and he had been like that for a month. I couldn't bear to see him vomiting and coughing up blood, he was really dying inside. I never thought I'd say this once, but he really did look horrible. He lost a lot, I think he weighed less than fifty kilos, his bones were marked everywhere and he was becoming more and more complex about it. He could't eat anything at all and he was hungry, so he was between a rock and a hard place. With the heroin he managed to make a daily meal at least without vomiting, but he needed more drugs to be able to move on and I couldn't allow that.

- Kurt, honey... -I said when I heard him start crying.

I lay next to him on the bed and began to touch his hair trying to reassure him. He had his eyes lost and his crying was increasing.

- Sorry...

- Take it easy. -I whispered in his ear after kissing his cheek- You can't continue like this, you have to go to rehabilitation... Try it, please.

He nodded and I hugged him until the effect of the heroin ceased.

Kurt entered the Exodus rehabilitation center on March 31, 1993 where they assured me he would be in the best hands.

- I'll come to see you every day for as long as I can, I promise.

He simply hugged me tightly and thanked me in a whisper. I stayed in the main hall watching two nurses accompany him to what would be his new room and he didn't turn his eyes once to me.

When I lost sight of him I went out to the street where Alice was waiting for me in the car. As I sat next to him in the passenger seat, a strong headache erupted in me.

- And good?

- Practically he hasn't fired me. -I whispered, massaging my temples.

- Well, he'll be angry with the world for having to stay here, but deep down he knows what is best for him. Don't worry, he'll be fine and it won'tt be long before he returns home.

I nodded and took a deep breath looking straight ahead.

I guess I'm doing the right thing.