Chapter 4

Chapter 4

The rest of the week went by just as Monday and Tuesday had. I would wake up fairly late, go for a run, and then go to class.

Any homework that I had, I did right after class. It was usually only reading chapters, or running over notes. What gave me more trouble were the Calculus assignments. Whatever Math homework I had though, I made sure not to touch.

I learned that Aaron usually got to the diner at around 9:30 or 10 at night. So, I went around that time as well. I used needing help on my homework as an excuse.

He didn’t seem to mind though. As the days went by, my homework got done quicker. After he finished helping me work out the equations or explaining the lesson- we just did other stuff.

Sometimes we spent the whole night talking. I’d learned so much about him. The more I learned, the more compelled I felt about going the next day.

Other times, he would show me his latest work with programming. I had no idea what was going on in the books or in the laptop, but he seemed really excited about it.

Every time he explained something, he looked so passionate. I found myself smiling like an idiot- even though I was clueless as to what he was talking about.

He also gave me another Art 101 class, but I decided it just wasn’t for me. I settled for watching him draw anything that I pointed out. He was really good at it.

It was Saturday night, and I was sitting on my bed, staring at the digital clock in front of me.

I had just finished talking to my parents. They had news. Unfortunately, it was news that made something tug at my heart.  Silvia and George, Matt’s parents, were moving away.

With Matt gone, there was no reason for them to stay around. I still remembered the day I told Silvia that I was coming here to study, like Matt and I had planned to do.

She didn’t tell me not to come, but she kept finding reasons for me to stay. She was doing it because I reminded her of Matt. If I went away, it was like she was losing a part of Matt. I had felt exactly the same way about her.

So now that I had left, Silvia found no reason to hang around a town that only brought bad memories. My mom said Silvia had practically begged George for them to move.

It wasn’t like I was at home. I had abandoned her in some way too. I just couldn’t let go of what I’d read in Matt’s journal.

My dad said that they were barely making arrangements to sell the house and buy a new one in Florida, which was where most of Silvia’s family lived.

I had been planning to go back home in Spring Break. I was missing my family, but I also wanted to talk to Matt’s parents.

Before coming here, I didn’t have the guts to confront them about Matt’s journal. Now though, I needed to do it. I needed to talk to Silvia and ask her why no one had told me anything.

I couldn’t exactly deny it. A part of me was mad at Silvia for not telling me.

Not right after the accident. Not in the funeral. Not all those days I spent with her, trying to find some sort of comfort.

Worst of all, today was Saturday. I was glad that I didn’t have to go to class, but I wasn’t sure whether I should go to the diner.