Chapter 11

"God no," I groaned, bending over to catch my breath. I'd stayed back in school for a while to do some extra studying, but I hadn't been able to catch the bus since I lost track of time — time had just zoomed past me. After my breathing went back to normal I let out a sigh before standing up straight. I ran a hand through my hair, looking on at the empty area that would have been packed with students in their white and blue uniforms just a few minutes ago.

"Great, what do I do now?" I asked myself as I adjusted the weight of my school bag using its straps before looking at the now-empty street. I bit my bottom lip, looking from it to the school building, and then back to it.

I shook my head, deciding that I might just have to walk home today. Maybe I can call a cab? I just stood by the school gates, thinking about what to do. I didn't even notice the sound of footsteps heading towards me, and when I finally heard them and turned, I jumped back in surprise at the sight of Jay.

"Hey," he said, smiling a bit as I tried to recover from the shock he'd given me. I ignored his greeting, and I instead bent over a bit, closing my eyes as I calmed myself down.

"What is wrong with you?!" I stood up, asking as I threw a glare at him. The smile Jay had been wearing thinned out a bit, and he just looked at me, not saying anything. He was wearing casual clothes, not the school's uniform so I assumed he must have hand gym class last, or he'd finished a practice. Really? He's still having co-curricular activities towards the midterm week, why?

"Why do you hate me so much?" he asked out of the blue, making the frown that I had engraved on my face fall a bit. He didn't look cocky or menacing today. He just looked frustrated and sad.

"Jay, I'm not in the mood. You're always following me about the place. It's creepy, and certainly not a good look. Aren't your friends going to see you?" I asked. I was not sure of what I was saying. I just wanted him to leave — or to give me space to slip away. He was right in my face and would probably hold me back if I tried to step away.

I had to tread carefully. Jay was an active volcano waiting to blow up at any minute.

"You missed the bus, right?" Jay asked, looking from me to the empty road. "Do you need a ride? I could drive you home. I'm done with practice, and I have to leave soon anyway," he added, ignoring the question I'd asked him just a minute before.

I sighed, wondering what to do. On one hand, I needed a ride home, and on the other hand, I didn't want to be anywhere with Jay alone.

"Thanks, but no thanks. I think I'll call Wyatt instead," I said, even though I knew Wyatt was probably having an afternoon class at the exact moment. I just wanted Jay to leave.

"Who's Wyatt?"

Oh, come on. I sighed with my thought, covering my face with my palm as I digested Jay's question. "Jay, I'm tired, please just let me leave."

"I'm trying, okay! I'm trying my very best. Why do you hate me?" I heard him yell at the top of his voice as I made to turn away from him. I stopped, turning back so that I could look him in the eye. He sighed, running a hand through his hair.

"Shit," he groaned, shaking his head. "What am I doing wrong?"

"Everything?" I offered, making him frown before looking up at me.

"Very funny, ha ha ha," he said in a sarcastic tone, but he chuckled anyway. "You're so fucking annoying, Jesus Christ."

"I try my best," I said, making Jay frown at me again before chuckling. I watched him laugh for a while, awkwardly just looking at him as I adjusted the strap of my backpack. Time was passing by, and I was starting to get worried that I'd get in trouble if I got home late, if I didn't start heading back home soon. There's even a good chance my mother's already home.

Jay finally stopped laughing, and I watched him wipe his eyes. He let out a sigh, looking over at me before smiling again. "If you don't want me to drive you home, that's fine. See you later Ant. Oh, and please don't hang up on me again, okay?" he said, making me roll my eyes. I watched as he walked away, and after he'd disappeared out of sight I started to make my way back home, hoping to catch a bus at the closest bus stop.

I frowned, feeling my phone vibrate in the pocket of my school uniform trousers on my way. I paused, taking it out of my pocket before taking a look at the message notification.

THE ASSHOLE WHO WON'T LEAVE ME ALONE

@3: 52 PM.

You're wishing you took my offer now, aren't you?

Fuck off. I said in my mind, shoving my phone back into my pocket before continuing my walk under the sun. I eventually got to the bus stop, and I got on a bus soon after. When the bus came to a stop at the bus stop closest to my place I got down and walked the rest of the way home.

"You're home late. We didn't see you at the gates, what happened?" Juana asked as I walked into the house after kicking off my shoes. I turned my gaze towards her voice, finding her sitting on one of the living room sofas with a phone in her hand.

"I stayed back a bit to do some extra studying. You should have called me when the bus came. Heck, David should have called me," I sighed, running a hand through my hair. At least Ma doesn't seem to be around yet. I thought, closing my eyes for a bit. I was tired and soaking in sweat from walking under the afternoon sun.

"I'm sorry, it's not like I'm your babysitter or something. If you wanted to do something like that it would have been better to tell Wyatt to watch out for you instead," she said, rolling her eyes before she turned her attention back to the screen of her iPhone. We haven't had gadgets for a long time, and it was a bit odd to see that Juana was already so attached to her phone and laptop, or maybe I was the one that was having an unusually hard time adjusting to having more money.

Rolling my eyes, I left the living room and headed up the stairs before walking to my room. I dropped my bag on the floor immediately I got in before sheading the clothes I had on and crawling under my blanket. I was exhausted, and all I wanted to do was sleep until it was time for dinner.

Later in the evening, I woke up to the sound of knocking at my door. I yawned, rolling on my side before my eyes peeled open to the now dark room.

"Hey, Antonio it's time for dinner," I heard Wyatt's voice say from the other side of the door. I found myself smiling for some reason, and I eventually sat up.

"I'm coming down," I said, getting down from my bed and wearing some clothes before leaving my room and heading downstairs.

Dinner went by quickly, and everyone from my Ma to Wyatt's dad was around, so we all ate at the dining table instead of in the living room. We ate while talking, and everyone seemed preoccupied with the conversation my Ma had started — well, apart from me. I was busy thinking about Jay, and about how confusing and irritating he was at the same time. I was also exhausted from studying, and the unusual amount of activity as of late in my normally mundane life.

As I thought about all this and picked at my food idly, I looked up to find Wyatt giving me a small smile. He was wearing makeup today, and his purple hair wasn't a mess as it usually was. Is he going somewhere? I wondered, but the thought didn't linger for a long time, and I instead smiled back at him.

At least there's one thing I don't hate that's happened recently. I thought, thinking of the small, yet positive and significant interactions I've has with Wyatt for the past month.

Wyatt looked away first, and when he turned to talk to his dad I looked back down to my plate of rice and curry, picking at my food for the rest of the evening.