Valentine's Day (The Night Before)

This is prelude to Val's bday. The detail here is important so pay attention. The setting starts the night of Feb. 13 before Val's birthday.

After a long day at work, Val and Tequila were finally going home...

The couple had been together for about a year now and Val had moved out to an apartment of her own, but they still don't live together. Fortunately, their apartments aren't too far away from each other (they lived in the same building but different flats) so they see each other everyday. They always went home together no matter how late it was. They always waited on each other to finish their work no matter how tired or sleepy they are or how long it would take to get the other one to finish. They also drive to work together taking turns on the driving and whose car to use.

Today, they were riding in Tequila's car and he was driving. It was already late midnight, almost one o' clock in the morning when they were driving through the deserted streets of London. Pretty much everyone was asleep except for drunks at the pubs or people going home late like them. Only a few cars swooshed by the road. There was a calming silence like a lullaby that rung loudly. The streets lights shined dimly on the pavement. A cold late night mist lightly frosted over the car windows and windshield.

Val laid her head on the headrest and covered her mouth as she gave a small cat like yawn. Tequila glanced at her with a small smile as he always secretly found it cute when she yawned. With one hand on the steering wheel he put the other one on her knee. She felt the warmth coming from him.

"Tired?" he asked.

Val merely nodded in return with a hum. She then rested her forehead on the car window with her eyelids feeling heavy. With much effort she resisted the urge to sleep they were soon reaching their destination. Once they arrived they didn't immediately part ways. Tequila came along with Val escorting her into her apartment.

They walked in holding hands like they usually do. Val's apartment was as expected always clean and Tequila tries to be as tidy as he could when he was there. One tiny thing though was in disorder. There were a few picture frames that were yet to be hung strewn all over the sofa. There were about a dozen of them. Whatever pictures were on the frames, Val must love a lot.

Tequila looked at the frames queerly. Val noticed his questioning look.

"Sorry about the mess. I was supposed to hang them up this morning but I kind of overslept. Besides, I never really hung up picture frames before" she said chuckling nervously.

"I can hang them up now if you want" he offered.

"Are you sure? I mean, it's been a long day and-"

"No it's fine. This wouldn't take an hour and it's cold outside anyway" he said smirking at the last phrase while winking at her.

Val laughed and playfully rolled her eyes at the reference to last Christmas they spent together. (Baby it's cold outside one shot). "Whatever you say babe" she laughed out standing on her tiptoes to kiss his cheek.

Tequila immediately went to hanging up the frames slowly one by one as Val sat on a nearby couch reading a book, looking up every once in a while when Tequila asks where a frame is to be placed. It was silent with only the slight thud of the hammer embedding the nail onto the wall being heard like a dull echo. By the blink of an eye, all the frames are hung. Val stood beside him, thoroughly inspected his work. It was done nicely. She smiled and gave him a side hug wrapping arm around her torso.