Chasing Memories

Terra

"Beast Boy, please! I'm sorry, I'm so sorry!" "Terra stop! We're your friends!" "I don't have any friends, remember?" "Come on, Raven - what hurts the most? That I actually tricked you? That I almost wiped out your entire team? That everyone actually liked me better than you? Or is it that deep inside, you actually thought I was your friend?" "I don't need saving! I'm not some sad little girl waiting to be rescued! I wanted to be this way. I wanted to go with Slade. I wanted to annihilate you and your pathetic friends. And now, I never want to see your face again." "You can't control me anymore!" "You were the best friend I ever had."

No... No, it couldn't have been like that... All these things... bottled up inside... did I really want to destroy them? Or was Slade controlling me? What ever happened to me? I remember Beast Boy, the best friend I ever had, tears, burning hot lava overwhelming me. Then, nothing. A snippet of his voice, with no image attached. A large explosion, rocks shattering, the sound of a large man-beast screaming, and a girl reprimanding her father. Raven and Trigon. I hear their names drift through my head. Did I really despise her that much? I can't believe I actually did all that, I wanted to go with Slade. He had been such a monster, I destroyed him, and essentially myself.

I turn over and sob into my pillow. This was the worst break ever. I regained everything I knew, and it's all worthless. Now I can't even access the Teen Titans, since I'm trapped in this school. Then I get an idea.

I fake sick for the dorm advisor on Monday, and retch enough for her to run away in disgust, writing a slip to excuse me. Then, ever so quietly, I crash out of my window and onto the ground three stories down. I fully expected the earth to hurt like nothing I'd known before, besides the memories. Instead, it almost creates a cushion beneath me, and the landing is as soft as my bed. I thought I had lost my earth powers. Maybe I had inadverdently reactivated them?

Choosing to ignore that issue, I sneak behind bushes and buildings to the black fence surrounding my campus. I scale its footholds, and fall on the other side. Naturally, my brain chooses that exact moment to realize I packed absolutely nothing besides my wits-or lack of them. I shake my head at myself, and hike over to the nearest electronics shop. It has reeling news about the local prison being broken into, and that the Teen Titans were currently inside, fighting-

Oh, no. I start sprinting.

Beast Boy

"Stop! There is no escape! We all know your 'special abilities' had disappeared with the Trigon! We can and will defeat you!" Starfire shouts, firing starbolts and flying along at a breakneck speed. All her efforts merely clink off of him harmlessly. What has this man done?

"Oh, the Teen Titans. What a pleasure to see you five again. But wait. Aren't you missing a member? Blond, blue eyes, earth controlling... Tried to destroy me?" His voice echoes out, reverberating on the jail walls. He laughs, a deep, dark cackle. "But she didn't succeed, did she? She only crushed poor little Beast Boy's heart." I look down and toe the ground with my shoe. Another cackle comes, and he shows his face.

The brown left half of his mask has a crack, straight through the middle. The right is just the dark black. I avoid looking at his outfit. It brings back the harsh memories.

"Perhaps another time, we may continue this. But for now, it seems my, ah, recruit, is on the loose." Slade vanishes into the shadows, still laughing viciously. I sink to the ground, eyes watering. The tears push at the edge of my vision. I feel Raven's hand on my back, and sigh.

"What did he mean by his recruit is on the loose?" I dare to ask, lifting my shaky eyes to look at Raven.

"I think I may know, but you might not like the answer. Let's just go home, and I'll try and see," she responds. I sigh again and nod. I shift into a labrador, and walk towards home, tail between my legs.

Terra

They were already long gone by the time I talked to the officers at the bank. I thanked them, trudging away to the ground off the edge of the water, across from Titans Tower. I pick up the dirt, letting it drift between my fingers, and go to work. I mold it over and over until its a circle, and throw it up. I try to hold it there, but it just splats to the ground. I repeat it constantly until I can get my act together. Taking a risk, I chuck the dirtball at where I know Beast Boy's window is. Pleasepleasepleaseplease I think, squeezing my eyes shut and thrusting out my hand. After hearing no crashing of windows, I risk opening my eyes. I see it hovering right outisde his window, shrinking as I lose control of the dirt.

"Yea, I'll be right there, I just gotta check something! I thought there was something out the window." I hear Beast Boy's voice carry over, and watch his window crack open. Startled, I drop my concentration on the dirtball and dive into a bush. "But there was just... It was a ball of dirt! It couldn't have just been.... Terra?!" I hear him yell. I pull the branches in front of my face, praying he won't see me as he searches the surrounding area. I sneak a look at his puzzled face as he closes the window. The pointy ears, the green hair, eyes, and skin, the fangs. That one bit starts me back up, and I work harder and harder. When night drops, I crash under the bush, and repeat the process for weeks. Every so often, the team rushes out to go beat up bad guys, and Beast Boy always lags behind, looking for me, probably.

It slowly gets easier to work with the earth, but it gets out of control once I recall how to use my powers again. This must be what had happened right before Slade took over. I try harder and harder, constantly, trying to perfect my powers. At last, I'm almost there, and also nearly knocked out from exhaustion. I go back to my bush for a whole weekend, and think. I'm so disappointed in myself, for agreeing to side with Slade after he only promised me control. But that's in the past now. I'm going to avoid that monster constantly now.

On the following Monday, I pick up a slab of earth and hop onto it. I rise up to the Tower, and look at their Tv. It's blaring a signal for another attack-Control Freak. I know where he is, and I know I can get there faster than them. I speed off on my dirt mound, back towards my school.