VIII

Knock, Knock, Knock

"Hela, Can I come in?" I heard my uncle gently say from outside the door.

"No, stay away from me!" I quickly responded.

The door soon swung open and my uncle walked in.

"I said to stay away from me," I said but he continued to walk towards me. I quickly got up and created distance between him and I. Every step he took forward, I moved two step backwards.

"Please stop it! I don't want to hurt you!" I pleaded.

"Relax. Its okay, you're not going to hurt me, Hela," He responded.

"How can you be so sure of that? I murdered that guy 2 days ago on accident. I just touched him and he died instantly," I said as I backed into a wall

"Don't worry about what occurred a couple of days ago. You can't isolate yourself in this room forever," He said.

"Why can't I? I've been doing a lot of thinking and I came to the conclusion that I'm a freak! A murderer! I don't deserve to be walking around. I deserve to be in a prison," I said.

"Don't say that-," Uncle started before I cut him off.

"Why not? Why can't I say that? Why can't I speak the truth?" I asked and he had no response.

"Just get out and let me be. We both know its what's best," I continued.

"No, I don't think it is," He said as he extended his hand toward my arm. I closed my eyes and involuntarily winced away from him, scared of what may happen if he touched me.

I opened my eyes to find my Uncle frowning.

"I'm sorry," I said barely above a whisper.

My uncle nodded. "Its okay. I understand," he replied before turning around and heading toward the door.

My body slowly untensed. I looked down at my hand and sighed before speaking again. "I know I have powers, obviously, My origins are not of this world but what kind of power do I possess inside of me to be able to take someone's life with the touch of a finger?" I asked.

Uncle stopped and turned around. He sighed before looking dead at me and said, "Sadly I do not acquire the proper knowledge to answer your question."

"Of course you don't know. I don't even know why I still bother asking you things. You're absolutely no help. Its crazy that everyone wonders why me and you never get along," I said.

"You did not let me finish, Hela. I do know someone who might have the proper knowledge," He said.

"Is that someone my father?" I asked.

"No, that someone is my father, your grandfather," He said.

"Does that mean that your taking me to Asgard?" I asked with a gleam of hope glittering in my eyes that he says yes.

"Yes, we'll leave tomorrow at noon," he said and a smile formed across my face.

"Finally. Thank you so much," I said.

My uncle was about to turn around again but I stopped him.

"Before you go. I just wanted to let you know that I don't hate you like you may think I do," I said softly.

He looked at me and smiled. "I know. We may butt heads from time to time but your still my niece. I love you," He said as he came to me and gave me a hug.

I gasped. Did he just touch me? My heart sank in grief. I thought in a couple seconds something bad was going to happen but nothing ever did.

Was I overreacting? Why did that other man die and not him? Was it because he was a god?

Once again thoughts were running every which way inside my head.

Confused, I quickly pulled away from the hug and surveyed my uncles face. There was no indications of anything happening to him.

He smirked. "Didn't I say that you weren't going to hurt me?" He said before hugging me again. My head sank into his chest and for the first time in a long time, I actually hugged him back.

"I love you," I said.