VII

I stood in the far off corner of the room with my back pressed against the cold, brick wall. The lights were dimmed, one was even broken and all I could hear were the ticks coming from the clock near me.

I was left in here for four hours, it's been four whole hours since I took a man's life. I didn't want to touch anything or even move, I feared that the slightest of things would cause more unwanted chaos.

I just stood in silence. Deep in my thoughts, the events of earlier tonight replayed in my head. I was confused by the whole thing.

How did this even happen?

That was the main question I had for myself but couldn't come up with an answer.

The man wasn't the best person but he certainly didn't deserve to die and having his blood on my hands is something that I couldn't shake from my mind. The guilt was too much for my conscience to bear.

My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of the door finally opening. I look up to see a woman walking in.

The woman had a stern and uninviting look plastered on her face. She looked to be in her mid-40s. She had black hair, brown eyes, her skin was wrinkly, her face bland, and she had a coffee in her hand. She looked at me negatively before she took a seat at the table in the middle of the room.

"Hi, I'm detective Graham," she said. "Why don't you take a seat?" She asked as she gestured at the seat across from her. I shook my head.

"I'd rathered not," I spoke.

The woman sighed. "Okay. Can you at least explain to me what happened earlier tonight?" She asked as she took a sip of her coffee.

"I-I would if I knew what had happened. All I know is I just touched him and he fell...I checked to see if he was okay but he had no pulse, he wasn't breathing," I replied.

"So you're saying that you only touched him?" She asked for clarity.

I nodded

She rose an eyebrow. "Well, how hard did you touch him?" She asked.

"Not hard enough to kill him," I responded softly.

She sighed once again as she sat back in her chair.

"Let me know when you're done lying to me, Okay?" she said. "I'll wait."

I looked at her confused. "When did I start lying?" I asked as I took a couple of steps toward the table.

"Do you really expect me to believe you just touched him and he died? It's disrespectful that you think of me as incompetent enough to believe such a thing. You could've at least came up with something a little better, something a little more believable," she said.

"At no means am I insulting your intelligence, ma'am. I know it sounds ridiculous but you have to believe me when I say that I'm not lying," I replied.

"I don't mind sitting here all night, Why don't you make both of our lives easier and just tell me the truth," Detective Graham said.

"I don't know what else to say because I already did. If you don't believe me, that's on you," I responded.

The woman rolled her eyes before taking a deep breath.

"What were you even doing in that alleyway in the first place?" she asked.

"I was trying to help this woman from being attacked by that man, I was just trying to be a good samaritan. I didn't know that things would turn out this way," I replied.

"I don't think you understand the severity of this situation, young lady. A man died and you were the last person to touch him. You could be charged with murder in the second degree and possibly face life imprisonment," she said. Her face hardened as she spoke again. "Now, I'm going to ask you this one last time, tell me, did you kill that man?"

I remained silent to her question and you could see the annoyance that soon covered the detective's face.

"Are you going to answer my question?" She asked.

I looked down at my hands and then back at her before answering.

"I don't know, " I replied.

"You don't know? It was a yes or no question," she responded.

"There are a myriad of factors that could have led to his death if you think about it," I said as I finally took a seat across from her.

"I don't appreciate you trying to unnecessarily spin this into murder if it may not be one. Do your job and investigate instead of trying to get a false confession out of me. I honestly don't know and neither do you so I stand by my response," I continued.

She sent a cold glare my way before speaking again.

"Listen up, young lad-," The detective started but was cut off by knocking coming from the one-way window behind her.

I looked over at the detective who had a look of frustration on her face. She took another deep breath.

"Wait here," she said as she got up from her seat.

"Why are you like this?" I asked as she was walking toward the door. She stopped, turned around, and looked at me.

"Why am I like this? I'm just trying to do my job. The real question is, why are you like this? Why do you have to make everything more difficult than it is? We know you killed him, it's obvious. There are witnesses and so much overwhelming evidence against you so just confess. If it was justified then that's okay but you would still have to be prosecuted, that's the way the law works," she said.

There was another aggressive knock on the window. "Just know that whatever happens to you isn't up to me, it's up to a judge or a jury so please make everyone's lives easier and just confess," she continued before exiting the room.

The room was silent again and I was left alone once more with only my thoughts.

I sighed as I put my head down on the cold table and thought to myself: How much longer?

Fatigue and hunger were soon filling my body. I glanced over at the clock and saw that it was a quarter past one in the morning.

I groaned as put my head back down. I wanted to be in my bed so bad. I just wanted this to end. I wanted to be somewhere else. Oh, how I wish I could turn back time. Why couldn't that be my power? Why death?

I had a million questions racing through my mind all at once.

My head shot up when I heard the door open again. The detective walked back in but this time she was followed by two other people: this random man and someone I never thought I'd be so happy to see.

"Let's go," Fury said to me when he walked in.

I looked over at the detective and the other man who both had blank expressions on their faces.

I got up and followed Fury out without saying another word.