Tom

Could this day get any worse?

First, you miss your train, showing up late to work for the fourth time this month. Your boss was already upset with you for messing up a few order catalogs, so you knew you were in for the worst when you walked in the doors.

All of this, topped with the icing on the cake - your boyfriend cancelling plans to see you, again.

Y/N: So, this weekend, then?

T: Can't, love. I meant to tell you earlier this week. Shooting got pushed up, a location Doug wants for some scenes just became available

T: I'm sorry.

At the end of the day, you feel like you're barely alive.

Your back hurts, your headache is back, full force, and you just can't seem to catch a break.

Your body meets the soft plush of your bed as soon as you make it to your room, the world drowned out with the pleasant thought of sleep.

Those dreams come apart the second your phone starts to buzz.

You check, sighing rather annoyedly. You take a deep breath, mentally preparing yourself as you answer.

"Hi."

"Hi yourself, love. How's my princess?" Tom's voice rang deep on the other side of the line, and usually it would make you smile like there was no tomorrow. But not today.

"Not good. I think I'm dying." He snickers on the other end, and you can't help but roll your eyes. "Not funny, Holland."

"Ouch. Last name, now? What happened, darling?" He sounds genuine, but your anger blinds you.

"I was late today, again. And my boss already wants to slit my throat, so that's just perfect. And then, to top it all off, you cancel. Again." You clap a hand over your mouth, realizing what you just said. Tom's silent, his breathing barely audible. You're cursing yourself under your breath when you hear the click of his tongue.

"At least you're not burying your feelings like always. That's an improvement." You're picturing him rolling his eyes as he distracts himself and it makes everything hurt.

"Oh, is it? Sorry that I'm not a very direct person when it comes to my feelings, like someone I know."

"C'mon, I know you've got more in you than that, darling."

"Do you want us to fight? Is that what this has come to?"

"At least the phone call will be longer than 5 minutes if we do! You never talk to me anymore, Y/N."

"Because you're always busy, idiot! Or do you not realize that I'm trying to accommodate for you?"

"If ignoring me is accommodating for me, then by all means, continue. Let me stress over whether you're okay or not, please."

"As if you cared."

"What?" You're seething, your hand gripping your comforter tightly as you try to calm down. There was no turning back now.

"If you even cared about me, you wouldn't be cancelling our plans left and right, Tom. I haven't seen you in months." Your voice cracks on the last word, and you can feel the tears in the corners of your eyes.

"You've got to be - hold on," You hear some loud clattering in the background, followed by muffled voices. You assume someone's come to his trailer, and you know the call has come to its end. You know you won't be able to handle any more that Tom has to say, so you hang up before he has the chance to come back.

"Can you give me just 5 more minutes, Dave? Tell Doug I'm in makeup or something, please."

"Okay, I got it." The assistant leaves, Tom running a hand through his hair as he shuts the trailer door shut. He looks at his phone, groaning when he realizes you've hung up.

"Fucking hell, Y/N." He throws it on his bed, sighing as he throws himself onto the ground, his head in his hands.

"I've got to fix this."

Your first weekend free in months, and it's your year and a half anniversary. You were never one to care about halfway milestones, but you adored how excited Tom was about the anniversaries. If he could, he would celebrate every single month.

The thought brings a smile to your face for a moment, only to fall as you recall the exchange you'd had the night before. You wince, remembering everything you had said to him, and he had said to you. You never thought the distance, his work, all of it, would come between you two like this.

It was never easy, and you knew that the moment he confessed his feelings for you.

"I really like you, Y/N. So much, I think I've driven Harry and Harrison to the brink of insanity, darling. I understand if you don't want to start something with me, considering the mess that is my life. But I promise you, I'll always be there. Whenever you need."

His words bring tears to your eyes once more, but for a whole other reason. Sometimes you forget the poor boy's been in love with you since day one.

He admitted it to you only six months ago, mainly because he was sure you'd think he was some psycho. Now, it only made you long for him more than ever.

You're curled up on your bed, dozing off during an episode of Brooklyn Nine-Nine, when a sharp knock sounds at your apartment door. You rise, rubbing the sleep from your eyes as you make your way to see to the unexpected visitor. You don't even bother checking who it is, already planning on shooing them away so you could be alone, in peace.

Oh, were you in for the surprise of the night.

You open the door halfway, leaning your head against the frame. You look up, meeting warm brown eyes. You blink, rubbing your eyes once more as you think you're starting to see things.

Tom's standing right in front of you, a bouquet of roses in one arm, and a bag of your favorite takeout in the other. His traveling bag is at his feet, and a small smile is dancing on his lips as he tilts his head, looking at you.

"Well? Aren't you going to let me in, my love?"

"You - Tom - Wait, you're actually here?!" You let the door open all the way, the young man nodding his head as he grins, kicking his bag through the opening.

"Of course, darling. Couldn't leave my favorite girl alone on a special day like today." He crosses in, placing the flowers and food on the hall table, turning around to shut the door, pulling you into his arms as fast as he can.

You feel like you're spinning, your eyes lost in his as you both just gaze at each other. Tom rests his forehead against yours, his arms tightening around you as he presses you tight against his chest.

"I've missed you so damn much." His words are barely audible; his eyes are closed, his nose barely grazing yours.

"I'm so sorry, Tom. Really, I didn't mean any of it, I swear. God, I'm such a bitch." He pulls away slightly, frowning as he brushes some of your hair off your face.

"Never. You never have been, never will be. I know you didn't. I'm sorry, too, baby. I was so frustrated with filming, especially because it kept ruining everything I wanted to plan with you. I know I said I'd always be here for you, and I intend on keeping my word. It's just, lately, it's been so complicated." He nuzzles his face into your neck, humming softly as he breathes in your scent.

"Wearing my favorite shirt, love?"

"Didn't know it was a favorite." You giggle, running your fingers through his curly locks as he presses soft kisses on your neck.

"I wish we could stay like this forever." His words are muffled, but you still smile.

"Maybe we can, if you let me eat first." He laughs, pulling away to grab the bag off the table.

"Wine and dine?"

"God, yes."

——————-

Credits: tomshollandss on tumblr