The Girlfriend

It all started with that damn red notebook. 

“We should’ve destroyed it.” Steve said, barely able to look up from the table top.  
“You should’ve kept Bucky asleep in Wakanda.” Tony said roughly, spitting out Bucky’s name. He may have forgiven Steve for their fight during the Accords, but he was far from forgiving Bucky for killing his parents.
“We should’ve known it wouldn’t be safe with SHIELD. Those guys are always having their headquarters either broken into or blown up.” Sam shot back, trying to keep the peace but catering to everyone’s shared distaste for the spy organization.

Steve had brought Bucky back from Wakanda, believing that the time he spent frozen had given his brain enough time to heal, and that the only thing that could hurt him was locked away in SHIELD HQ. But SHIELD had failed to keep the Soviet handbook safe, and now it was in enemy hands and Bucky had been set loose. 
“Obviously Steve you need to go,” Tony said getting back to business.
“I’ll take Sam and Natasha with me.” Steve added, mentioning the two Avengers he trusted the most. 
“How many times am I going to have to save Bucky’s ass?” Sam muttered to himself. 
“Natasha can’t go,” Tony said, “she’s standing in as the head of SHIELD and is needed at HQ. There’s no one else we can trust in that position since Fury is still pretending to be dead.”
“Fine. But who else can go?” Steve asked, “Wanda is still learning to control her powers, Vision will just draw more attention and Thor and Bruce are missing.” 
“And I can’t promise I’ll bring him back alive.” Tony finished.
“What about the kid?” Sam asked, making Steve and Tony look up at him with confused expressions. “You know, the one with the crawling and webs. Spider-thing? Spider boy?”
“Spiderman.” Tony corrected.
“He gave Bucky and Sam a run for their money at the airport,” Steve offered.
“We were going easy on him!”
“Kid’s got heart,” Steve said, ignoring Sam attempt to defend his pride.
“Let me call and ask,” Tony said. 

Peter stood atop an apartment building in Harlem, his face aching from the wide smile he worse behind his mask. He couldn’t believe it, Captain America had requested him for a mission! Him! Peter Parker! He straightened himself as tall as he could as he glanced over at Steve who was scanning the busy street below and Sam who was flexing his Falcon wings, ready to take flight. 
“Thanks again Captain for thinking of me,” Peter said through his mask, his excitement making his words run together, “I know you had a lot of other people to choose from and I just- I know-”
“There really wasn’t a lot of other people,” Sam said smirking. 
“Ya’know the last guy I met with wings like that was called Vulture. Such a cool name, even if he was a bad guy,” Peter said to Sam, the white eyes on his mask narrowing to convey his sass. “he’s in jail now- cause of me- so you can probably use that name if you wanna, ya know, upgrade.”
Sam couldn’t help but chuckle, “don’t make me squash you.”
The banter stopped when they saw Steve go rigid, “got him,” he said pointing to the long haired figure making its way through the crowd. His metal arm may have been hidden under a heavy coat, but Steve would know that walk anywhere.
“Peter, roof. Sam, air. I’ll go to the ground.” Steve ordered. 
They stalked Bucky in their respective positions until they came to an abandoned warehouse. Bucky strolled in, forcing the three Avengers to follow him.
“What is it with warehouses and bad guys? Is there like an Instagram of creepy hideouts they all follow?” Peter commented.
“What have I told you about talking while on mission?” Sam said. 
“He knows he’s being followed.” Steve clarified, “be on guard.”

As if on cue Bucky dropped from a beam on ceiling, landing on Sam and sticking his metal arm through the pack on his back.
“Shit!” Sam shouted, feeling his only weapon short circuit. “I can’t-he wrecked my wings!” He shouted as Steve and Peter went back to back, poised to fight. But Bucky had disappeared again into the shadows, knowing he couldn’t take on all three at once. 
“I got him!” Peter shouted, his spider sense picking up a movement in the dark. He shot a web at the movement, and felt it attach to something solid. He pulled the web towards him to bring Bucky forward but was instantly jerked into the shadows. “Woooahh! Hey! What?!” Peter shouted as he came face to face with Bucky and began fighting hand to hand as the solider lured him deeper into the warehouse.  Steve and Sam ran to follow Peter and his shouts, and saw him mid-fight as all four of them found themselves in a large space filled with rusted machinery. Peter was dodging Bucky’s hits and shooting his webs to try and pin him down. But every time Bucky ripped through the webbing and charged again at Peter. “Woah man,” Peter said, moving his head to narrowly miss a punch from the metal arm. “you’ve got a hell of a left hook.” He flung himself off one of the machines trying to propel himself into Bucky’s chest as Steve and Sam joined in, running directly at Bucky.
But Bucky took Peter’s hit, wrapping his arms around his legs and spinning around to dodge Steve and Sam.
“AhhHHHHHH” Peter shouted, looking straight into Bucky’s face as the he body slammed Peter into the ground. 
Peter saw a flash of light go across his vision and heard some of his ribs crack, like thunder following a flash of lightning in a storm. When his eyes adjusted all he could see was a silver fist coming towards him. He rolled to the side but wasn’t fast enough for the second punch. Bucky landed one straight on his face and then another. Peter could feel his eye and lip swelling under his mask. He prepared himself for another hit as he willed himself to move, but then it stopped. Shouting he pulled himself up and saw that Steve had tackled Bucky to the ground. 
“James Buchanan Barnes!” Steve was shouting as the fought his friend. “It’s me, it’s Steve!” 
But nothing phased Bucky. 
Peter tried to get up to rejoin the fight. He was in so much pain but he didn’t want to let Steve down. He had to help.
Suddenly Sam appeared from the top of a machine. “Steve! Shield!” He shouted, as he chucked something from his hand. Instinctively Steve put up his shield to protect himself from the object. It wasn’t until Bucky caught it mid air that Peter saw what it was- a grenade. 
“Sam! What did you- Where did you?!” Peter shouted, trying to figure out how things had escalated that quickly. 
”The blast will snap him out of it!” Sam called, jumping down from the machine and running over to Peter to pull him from the blast zone.
But before he could Bucky had turned around and chucked the grenade towards them. Instinctively Peter shot a web at it, sticking to the pillar above them, 
“Oh shit!”