𝐎𝐍𝐄. Rogue Raptors

So, when, before the end of a year, the pack of velociraptors had grown up enough to match Kate's height if they stood tall, none of them were so nonplussed. As they were told before, all the dinosaurs in the park go through rapid and accelerated growth, contributing to their modified genetic designs. While Kate thought she could have enjoyed their babyhood a little more, she was not complaining either. They were so small and sweet and feeble when they were only babies, but the more they grew, the stronger, cleverer and more playful they were becoming. She would play all different kinds of games with them— from hide and seek, racing or chasing around, to silly games of imitating their barks and growls and whatnots. Oftentimes, she would even be found gossiping, pouring her heart out to them. Owen would watch all along, and sometimes, join in, too, to spark up the fun. Oh, how she loved playing with them all the time! But, also the more they were growing, the less she was allowed to go into the paddock by herself and play with them.

Now, it was necessary to mention that, out of  the raptors bred on that day, only Blue and Violet survived. As shocking and unbelievable as it was, the status of the third one which also had shown signs of hatching, had suddenly dropped and by the time it was hatched artificially, it had expired already. The other two raptor babies hatched safely but expired soon after, having a brawl that led one of them to die of internal bleeding and the other catching an infection within the following days. But, since the velociraptors were pack animals, more velociraptors were soon bred to be introduced to Blue and Violet. But not all of them were qualified to join the final pack, because a few of them, later on, attacked the guards as they grew up to be vicious and were taken down in an attempt to stop them. In the end, only three more velociraptors remained to join the pack : Delta, Echo and Charlie. They were imprinted to the Gradys as well, and they were similarly highly intelligent but none proved to be as empathetic as the twins.

Since those twin raptors had a better understanding, they were usually quick in catching up with newer modes of training and others. And naturally so, the rest of the pack: Delta, Echo and Charlie, the youngest, would follow them and learn to accept their leadership. But more than often Violet would let her twin raptor make decisions or choices and follow her like her other sister raptors. But it was not like Blue had got her leadership easily. Echo once had a fight with Blue and when he was defeated, she gave in to Blue and accepted her leadership. In this way, Blue became the Beta of the squad. Beta, because Kate and Owen had established themselves as the Alphas.

While the five raptors still had a lot to learn, training was soon going to be supervised from outside the paddock instead of physically being in there as before. Kate was also not allowed to go in for playtimes anymore.

It was truly disappointing.

Just weeks ago, they used to train them from up close and played with them staying within the same boundaries now she was told to keep out from. But they had been doing things that way ever since the raptors were brought to this place. . . She still could remember all the times she fed the little raptors from her hand, or prevented them from fighting or falling when they stumbled. She could recall how they all would come to her for snuggles and pats, the happy barks they would make when she scratched on their rough skin. And especially the times when they showed their ability to empathize, and even react to her emotions.

Various tests to determine their intelligence and level of empathy had started from very early stages of their lives. Once the baby raptors had bonded enough with them, Owen and Kate were to examine their reactions upon expressing signs of weaknesses and vulnerability. To this day it was pristine clear in her memories: on the very first trial when Owen had hid his face in his hands acting to be upset, Blue had been quick to analyze the situation before running to him and rubbing her head against him as though she had wanted to comfort him. And no matter how many times she had been tested this way, the result had never changed.