003. the past is a mystery

THREE—THE PAST IS A MYSTERY
————————————————————

I HELD MY breath as they told me everything—I mean, everything. From the moment Steve became his muscular self, all the way to now. My heart ached for them both; they'd been through so much, and all for what now felt like nothing, I'm sure.

But when they told me why they were here, why they had to bring him to me, that's when my heart cracked.

[ It had been almost a year since Steve left him under Wakanda's watchful eye, trusting their King T'Challa to keep him safe. Everything was normal, no one knew where he was being kept. Their plan had gone without a catch.

Until somebody flipped a switch, setting off a chain of events that would bring the world crashing down upon everyone.

Getting him out of cryo—"That's how they kept him alive for all these years, in cryofreeze," Steve explained—was easy enough, but his mind had barely woken up and realized the severity of their situation when people had stormed the room, donning black gear and protective masks to cover all features but their eyes. A barrage of bullets whistled through the air and only increased their panic.

Sam and Steve weren't surprised to be engaged in a fight once they stepped out into open air, but it was impossibly difficult to keep their companion out of the line of fire. Managing to stay behind the Dora Milaje, the female warriors of Wakanda that protect the throne, they escaped the country with only a few scratches. Of course, the two of them were spent from the exertion, but the third was barely awake enough to speak a word. Within a few minutes of being in the international air, he passed out.

Then they were faced with a new problem: where to bring him, where to keep him out of the public eye and prying enemies whose true intentions were nothing but evil. It was only after almost ten minutes when Sam figured it out.

"I know someone," he'd said, surprise in his voice. "How could I have forgotten about her?"

"Who?" Steve asked, his eyes on the horizon ahead of them.

Sam pursed his lips. "She's an old friend. I've known her my whole life."

"Can we trust her?"

That was the million-dollar question: trust.

Sam looked back at his friend and nodded firmly. "Yes."

"Can I trust her?" Steve asked, eyes downcast. "I'm not leaving him with someone I don't know."

"Would I ever have mentioned her if I didn't think we could both trust her to keep him safe?" came Sam's response. Steve was in agreement after a few moments of silence.

In only a matter of two days, they'd made it to the United States, losing their Wakandan aircraft long before, in order to keep their inconspicuity. Then, taking their friend by the arms, they trekked a few miles to the front door of who they hoped would be their saving grace. ]

It didn't take long for them to explain the details of their trip; the whole time my eyes drifted over to the man's form on the couch. How is he sleeping through all of this? I pondered.

"I..." I sighed, unsure of what to say. "I'm glad you thought of me," I spoke truthfully.

"We'll be staying here for a few days, just so he can get...comfortable with the new scenery," Sam said, "if that's okay with you?"

I nodded. "Of course, I can get all three of you some fresh clothes." Looking back at the unnamed figure in the living room, I asked aloud, "um, what's his name?"

"My name's Bucky."

His voice was a quiet, husky whisper, scratching along my arms and raising the hair on my neck.

I didn't have the courage to say anything in return, just focusing on his strong body as it sat up, his broad-shouldered back facing me.

Steve was up in a heartbeat. "How are you feeling, Buck?" The endearing nickname pulled at my heart. They were truly friends since childhood. "Everything's going to be fine, Sam's friend is going to—"

He waved him off with a jerk of his head. "I heard the whole thing. Even I can't sleep that long."

Unsure if I should laugh or commiserate, I keep my eyes on Sam and raise my eyebrows in question, what do I do?

He stood up and beckoned me over so I was standing in front of my new project.

Bucky's face was long, his eyes, though filled with darkness from the surroundings, clouded over with...something I couldn't place. He shifted his eyes up to mine, and even though I could barely see his features under the shadow of the moon and the sheet of hair covering his face, I felt myself tense.

"Hi," I said gently. He didn't reply.

A few moments of silence stretched between us, but then Sam broke it, suggesting we all turn in for the night. "You're not expecting anyone, are you?" He asked, but the hard look sent me the true message: your family's not going to visit, right?

Shaking my head, I retreated into the hallway leading to the guest room and the adjoining bathroom. "You guys can stay here, or there's another room just down the hall on the right," I said, pointing in the general direction. "I'm not really sure how to handle the sleeping arrangements, so..."

"This is fine, we'll take it from here," Steve said, and laid a comforting hand on my shoulder. "Thank you," he added, staring into my eyes, "we really—I really appreciate what you're doing for us. I know it isn't easy."

I shrugged. "How hard could it be? I'm only housing three fugitives for however long, it can't be that bad." I tried to let out a light laugh to hide my anxiety, but it bubbled out.

"Trust me, El, we're going to help you all we can. He's a hard one to warm up to, but all we're asking you is to keep him here. No one will be able to find him. He'll be safe," Sam reassured me.

"It's all about safety," I said, trying to further convince myself that I wasn't getting myself into a mess I wouldn't be able to climb out of.

The two men stepped into the room, leaving Bucky behind them. He'd gotten up to follow us, but now he was just standing there, looking at me with those eyes again. The eyes I couldn't see very well in the darkness.

"Do you want to sleep in the other room?" I asked him gently, pointing to the empty room down the hall. "I can bring you some clean clothes, my brother—"

"I'll stay on the couch," he said, his voice low. I would have argued, had he been anyone else, but he had the face of a person who didn't want to be doubted, so I didn't press.

"Okay," I said, "just let me know if you need anything. I'll be upstairs, my bedroom's the first on the left." Pausing, I added, "I'm Elda, by the way. Elda Reid."

He stood there for what felt like an eternity, just...inspecting me. Then, "it must be nice to be happy with yourself. To know who you are and who you've become."

Shocked by his confession, and too late to respond, I hung my mouth open, unable to speak. He turned and went back to the living room, leaving me in the shadows of my house.

————————————————————

this is kind of trash but i updated! and next chapter is going to get better, i promise! please please please vote and comment, it means the world to me!

published on: march 26, 2018