005. the movie moments

FIVE—THE MOVIE MOMENTS
————————————————————

A FEW DAYS had passed in silence, the four of us speaking so little that it felt like living in a silent movie. Only when Sam cracked a joke, or Steve would thank me for letting Bucky stay(for about the millionth time, may I add), or on the rare occasion where Bucky would utter a word or two, would I open my mouth to respond. It was not living, it was existing. And I hated every minute of it.

"Do you guys want to, like, watch a movie or something?" I suggested on the third day, when Sam's eyes fluttered shut after almost an hour of trying to look as if he were wide awake. "I've got some good ones, and it'll pass the time," I continued.

Sam shrugged. "Only if we watch The Goonies."

His counterpart, Steve, widened his eyes a little. "What if someone finds us?" he asked, worry ringing clear and true through his voice. "We have to be ready."

"Don't worry, I've got my heeled boots just by the door. If anyone breaks in, I'll just wack 'em with that," I answered simply, but received two confused looks from the men on the couch. I glanced up at the doorway, where Bucky was leaning against the wall, and felt my stomach flutter with the look he was giving me. His lips wore a ghost of a smirk, his eyes displaying a hint of amusement. I shook my head to rid it of the thoughts I felt entering my mind.

"And what'll you do when they come after you with guns, El?" Steve said, having grown accustomed to my nickname. Lots can change in just a few days. "How are you going to fight off a whole army?"

A moment of silence fell to my ears; I was unsure of how to answer that. "Whatever," I rolled my eyes, "I don't know anything about hand-to-hand combat anyway." Turning around, I rummaged through the case of movies I kept against the living room wall and talked over my shoulder. "Do you really fight bad guys with guns? Like, military-grade?"

I grabbed The Goonies and turned back around to face them. Sam had his arms crossed, his eyebrows raised in an are-you-serious-right-now look. "Well, we're not fighting them with swords," he said slowly and deliberately as if he were teaching math to a four-year-old.

"Or bows and arrows." The quiet answer from Bucky barely reached my ears, but when it did, I saw his eyes go wide like he just realized he'd actually spoken aloud and I grinned at his discomfort. It was, if anything, the tiniest bit endearing.

"Okay, well..." Feeling my face redden from Sam's comment, I tightened my grip on the movie and put it in, watching the television light up with bright colors and shapes as the previews began to roll through. I flopped down next to Sam, warming as he extended an arm across my shoulders. It reminded me of how we used to be. Two friends watching movies into the darkness of the night.

Except one of us wanted to be more than friends, my mind pointed out painfully and I pushed the thought out of my head. Now was not the time to dwell on the past.

"Wanna place a bet?" he grinned at Steve and me.

Steve looked confused. "On what?"

"On whether or not I can quote the entire movie," he replied quickly, winking at me.

"That's a pointless bet and you know it, Sammy," I huffed, "you always win."