Chapter 11

Five years ago

When I realized I was in love with Zack, it started to mess with my memories. Simple events became evidence of that deeper connection I felt I had with him, and it was hard for me to separate what was real and what wasn't.

On college graduation day, I was a mess. My original plan was to ride to school with my parents, but my mom had a work emergency so my dad had to wait for her.

I called Zack. "Where are you?" I yelled into the phone.

"Ten minutes. Just got off the highway."

"Ten minutes from school? I'm still home."

"What?"

"I was hoping I could ride with you, but if you're that close I'll get a cab instead."

"Wait for me, I'm turning the car around."

"No! Zack, it's okay, I'll get a cab."

"I said wait for me! Heading there now. You're not going to grad in a cab."

He made it to my house with half an hour to spare before the ceremonies started.

"I can't believe you came back," I said, catching my breath.

"You should've called me earlier," he replied, shaking his head.

Zack was dressed in the required semi-formal attire. He decided to go with what I recognized as his thesis-defense look—long-sleeved, pressed shirt, tie, black pants. I was wearing a new green dress, and my mom hired someone to do my hair and makeup.

"You look nice," Zack said.

"You ironed your shirt," I teased.

Zack's car screeched into an empty parking space five minutes after the ceremony officially started.

Plus he couldn't find parking near the auditorium, so we were probably five more minutes away from getting into the building. After we threw our robes on, he grabbed my hand and started running.

"I'm in heels!" I shrieked. "And slow down! I don't think we're going to miss anything!"

"I don't want you to miss anything," he said. "So hurry!"

When we entered the auditorium, the dean was giving a speech. Zack walked with me to find my assigned row.

"Thanks," I whispered, getting ready to take my seat.

"Congratulations," he said, kissing my forehead before running off to find his own seat with his Management classmates.

Three hours later, I was hugging my block mates, joking that all the hugging was because we were so happy the long ceremony was over. Everyone seemed emotional.

Zack caught up with me outside the auditorium and gave me a hug that lifted me off my feet.

"Congratulations to you too," I said, once my shoes touched the ground again.

"Why do I get the feeling this has happened before?" he asked.

That was funny, I felt that way too. "It's because we told people that we hugged at our high school graduation and you forgave me for dumping you at the prom."

"Oh right," he said, laughing. "And that didn't happen?"

"No."

"Well at least the good part did." He brought me close and hugged me again, and I felt him kiss the top of my head through my hair. "I'm glad we met here. I'm really sorry I didn't know you in high school."

"We made up for it," I said. "College would have been totally different if I didn't know you."

"I'm off to my family dinner. Do you need a ride?"

"No. The parents are here and I'm riding with them."

"Okay. I'll see you."

"Bye!" I waved at him.

When I turned around to look for my mom and dad, I saw Lena right behind me.

"Hey," she said. "I'm really happy for you."

"Um, congratulations to you too," I stammered, not sure what she meant.

She stepped toward me and gave me a hug.

Everyone's so touchy feely today, I thought.

But that memory had since been painted over with a different brush, and I wondered if I had it all wrong. Was I in love with Zack even then? Did he love me?

Because it looked like everyone knew it but us, and that made me want to cry.