Chapter 18

As I was having dinner with my family, I got a generic text message from Zack: Sorry but wedding's been cancelled. We will return your gifts.

As soon as I got that, my phone started ringing.

First call was Gerard, Zack's brother. "Did you have anything to do with that?"

"Yes," I said, and that probably came off a bit mysterious. I heard Ria's excited voice in the background. "Are you and Zack back together?"

"We were never—" Why bother? "Yes. Yes, we are back together."

"Mom will be so relieved!" I could hear Gerard's grin in his voice.

I ended the call and my phone rang again. It was Marjorie.

"I heard! My work friends got the text! I didn't get it 'cause I wasn't invited but they forwarded it to me and I've been trying to call you the past five minutes!"

"Does Lena know?"

"Yes! I forwarded the text to her. Are you two back together?"

"Yes."

"That is fantastic! I've been hearing all these weird rumors. Anyway! We'll meet up and you'll tell us everything!"

Not everything. "Yes, Marjorie, we should!"

The next call was Zack.

"Hey," I said, excusing myself from the dinner table and taking the call in my bedroom. "Everyone's been calling me."

"Me too. They're asking me what the hell happened with the stripper," he said, laughing.

"How did it go with Kimmy?"

"She knows. That's all that matters."

I had a sinking feeling we hadn't heard the last from her.

* * *

I didn't have to wait very long.

I was at a coffee shop when I felt someone lurking behind me.

I picked up my no-whip mocha and turned around. It was Kimmy. She looked like she had just come from work—phone in her hand, bag tucked under one arm. How did she find me, when I had walked into this particular coffee shop almost at random? Was she following me? She did have eyes everywhere.

"I told you to stay away from him," she said sharply.

I walked out of the coffee shop with her at my heels. I just made it out the door when she grabbed my arm. "Hey! I'm not done yet."

"What do you want, Kimmy?" I asked, shaking her off me. "It's over. You know that. I'm sure you saw it coming."

"He wanted to be with me," she said, gritting her perfect teeth. "No one leaves me like that."

"Kimmy," I began. "I don't know you very well, but I hope you eventually see that this is the best for everyone."

She laughed scornfully. "Right. You both wasted my time, my money, and humiliated me in front of everyone."

"It's not personal." She wasn't going to believe it, but I needed to say it. "I'm sorry, but even you have to know that this wasn't the right thing to do. You obviously don't want to be tied down."

"You don't know what I need or want," Kimmy said. "And he wanted to be with me. At least until you showed up again."

Please realize that we set your manipulative, cheating self free. And let's move on.

When she talked again, her voice was softer but still unkind. "You have no idea how painful this is."

"I'm sorry," I said sincerely, not knowing what else to say. "I really am."

She turned on her heel and walked away.

My phone vibrated in my pocket. A text message from Tim: I heard.

I rolled my eyes and texted back: Get over it.