Chapter 15

I should have arrived earlier.

Ten days before Zack's wedding, on a Wednesday night, I chose to wear my new jeans.

I should have worn a different top.

The simple white tee looked awkward now, considering what I was about to do.

Not sexy.

The room was at the end of the hall, a corner unit that probably had a view of Manila Bay. I sucked in my breath and rang the bell.

Someone got to the door, and there was a slight delay while I was inspected through the peep hole.

The door opened a crack.

"Are you J?"

"Yes that's me."

The guy at the door, still in a business shirt and tie from work, let me in. "You're not what I expected," he said.

I shrugged. "Well, this is me."

The condo was small, with a kitchen, dining room, and living room squashed together in a small common area. The tightness of the space was somewhat remedied by its multifunctional décor; it looked basic and modular, right out of an IKEA catalogue.

It had a great view of the bay, though.

Only two guys were in there, similarly dressed.

"Where's Ramon?" I asked.

They were looking at me—then at each other—eyes darting back and forth regularly like a tennis match.

"He'll be here in fifteen minutes," the other guy said.

Still with the crazy looking. I totally understood why, but it was making me uncomfortable.

"Can I just stay in the bedroom?" I suggested, although it wasn't exactly a request.

"Sure," the first guy said, snapping out of his trance. "This way."

We walked past one door (probably the bathroom), and toward the second door on the other side of the space.

"Do you want something to drink?"

"No thanks," I said abruptly. And then I remembered that I was supposed to at least be nice. "Just let me know when Ramon arrives."

He looked like he wanted to say something else so I closed the door and cut him off.

The bedroom itself was simple, in a nice way. The lights had dimmers, and I played with them for a second before keeping them at a soft glow. I sat down on the double bed and checked my watch.

Almost ten.

The sheets felt clean, at least. They probably rented the condo because it didn't look like it was lived in. Something colorful on the nightstand next to the bed caught my eye, even in the dim light.

Condoms. Lots of them, in sealed foil packages. Taken out of their boxes (I assumed they were purchased in boxes), and then scattered in bunches on the table. Different colors, sizes, flavors.

I groaned. So this is what happens at a bachelor party.

I locked the door in case one of Zack's office friends decided to try anything funny.

* * *

I heard people start to arrive. Male voices talking loudly over the TV, offering each other beer and pulutan.

The guest of honor wasn't around yet. The snippets of conversation that flitted underneath the door were about work. They all seemed to be Zack's officemates.

Apparently, a bachelor party was an absolute NO according to Kimmy, Ramon had said. She had already anticipated that the guys would plan one and had told everyone that it was not going to happen.

"But you guys are still doing something behind her back, right?" I had asked.

Ramon had buckled, looking and maybe feeling like a snitch. "Yes. On Wednesday night. Kimmy's assigned to Laguna and we were going to bring Zack to this condo we got."

"Then that's perfect."

"No it's not."

"You've got to get me in there, Ramon."

"But..." And the look on his face was priceless. "The guys are expecting a stripper."

"Zack doesn't know but everyone is expecting a stripper?"

He shrugged. "Zack doesn't know it's his turn, but it's not our first time doing this. Everyone knows what this is. I'm sure even he's expecting it."

"If this doesn't work, go to a strip club after. I'll pay for it. But you have to do this for me. I will owe you. "

Turned out, Ramon was a nice guy. He took charge of the sneaky bachelor party, told the guys he had found a stripper, and arranged to bring Zack to the condo.

Easy, right?

Where is he? This was taking a lot more than fifteen minutes. My hands were getting cold and numb. I think I sat on them and unwittingly cut off my own circulation, and jumped every time I heard the front door open and close.

Still no Zack.

Then, a text message: On our way up.

I didn't hear the door this time, but the cheers that erupted in the room made it clear who had arrived.

Another text message: Someone's still talking to him. Stay there. We'll hang out here first. Then I'll send him to the bedroom.

I put my face in my hands. I could hear my heart pounding in my ears, and I swore I could even see it beating through my shirt. Shit, Jasmine, what did you get yourself into?

* * *

It sounded like Zack didn't want to go into the bedroom.

"Just send her out here!" someone drunkenly yelled, annoyed at the delay.

"No," I heard Ramon say firmly. "She's here for Zack."

"Boring," one guy said.

"At least show us something first!" went another guy. "He doesn't even want it!"

"Kimmy will kill him if he tries anything!"

"Are you kidding? Kimmy will kill all of us!"

"Screw Kimmy! You're all pussies."

God how pathetic.

Text message: Did you lock the door? Unlock it.

"Seriously, Ramon, it's okay. I'll pass." That was Zack's voice, and it was nearer than all the others. Ramon had probably brought him all the way to the door, but he was hesitating.

"I don't care, Zack. Trust me what's inside the room is not what you think it is. Anyway I'm throwing you in there and do your thing and don't come out until you're done."

I crept up to the door and unlocked it.

Ramon swung the door open and pushed Zack inside, slamming it shut behind him.

Zack looked disoriented by the dim lights. I got to the knob before he did, squeezing between his body and the door, locking it before he could pull it open and escape.

"What the hell?" His eyes were still adjusting to the darkness.

"Hi," I said quietly, still pressed between him and the door. "I think we should talk."