Chapter One

Anna looked out the train window as fields of green grass rolled by. This is her fourth trip to Hogwarts. Her fourth year. Her previous three years at the school had been rather uneventful, although last year had seen the first year of the Weasley twins, which had been rather fun. There seemed to have been an increased number and explosions and Dungbombs since the two started school.

Anna looked over at her friends who were sharing the compartment with her, Darian Sauvage and Zinnia Wilkinson. Currently Darian was trying to help Zinnia with her Defence Against the Dark Arts homework that she had been given to do over the holiday and decided to wait until the last minute to do it. Fortunately, it was quite easy to help her since she was in the year below them, Anna let Darian help since he was better than her at DADA.

The plain paper butterfly that flew around the compartment caught her attention. It still surprised her that the charm she put on it over two years ago hadn't even begun to fade. All her paper creations were as lively as when she first mad them, but the butterfly was the first one she made, the first one she enchanted. It looked lonely to her, so she decided to make it a friend, pulling out a square piece of parchment, she always made sure to carry spare piece with her, she thought about what to make.

When she came to a decision she begun to fold and was completely focused on her work, with how often she made origami, it didn't her long to finish. She enchanted it and watched as the small bat flew up to flap around the butterfly. She watched the two fly around for a bit before turning back to look out the window until Zinnia had finished her homework.

"Don't fall asleep, you won't be able sleep tonight," Darian told her when she had started to nod off. She wasn't really that tired, just bored.

"What have you two been up to this past week?" Anna asked. Over the holidays they had met up often at Diagon Alley for a day out, so it had only been a week since she had last seen them.

"Laying in bed, in pain, from food poisoning, such agony," Darian answered with a dramatic sigh.

Zinnia scrunched up her face, "not fun."

"I'm feeling better now at least. I've discovered that plain toast is pretty delicious when it's the only thing you can eat."

"Must have been torture for you, I know how much you love your food," Anna smirked.

"You have no idea. So how have you been Zinn?"

"Alright, didn't do much last week, just stayed with Mum and Josh."

Josh was Zinnia's younger brother and all three of them suspected that he would be going to Hogwarts. The two siblings were both muggleborns living with their Mother. Zinnia has said that there had been a strain on their mother and father's relationship but discovering that she was a witch had been the last straw.

It had been a tough blow when her father had left before she had even finished her first year but looking back on it, she says it was for the best. Her father just couldn't handle the idea of magic. Zinnia's mother was Finnish and Anna adored her, she was a kind woman who cared deeply for her children.

They both turned to Anna and she went to tell them how she had spent her week when the compartment door opened. A Ravenclaw guy that she vaguely recognised from one of her classes poked their head in and turned to Darian.

"Hey Darian," he grinned.

"Hey Arthur, how you been?" Darian asked, and Anna turned back to Zinnia as she tuned out the conversation. Darian had many friends in the school, they were always stopping to talk to him and sometimes it could be awkward for Anna and Zinnia.

"So..." Anna started with a smirk, leaning in closer to Zinnia, "how are you and Alicia doing?"

Zinnia blushed slight with a small smile. She had met Alicia Spinnet last year in the library when they were both doing their herbology homework. Zinnia was in the year above Alicia and was one of the best students in herbology, so she certainly knew what she was talking about.

"Good, we exchanged letter all holidays," she said, and Anna could feel how happy she felt.

"How cute," Anna cooed teasingly. She grinned in amusement when Zinnia became flustered.

"I don't know what you're talking about," she denied, this only caused Anna to grin more.

"Don't forget Zinni, you can't hide how you feel from me," Anna continued to tease. The compartment door closed, and Darian turned back to them.

"So, what're we talking about?"

"Zinni and Alicia," Anna piped up instantly.

"Aww my favourite couple."

"We're not a couple!" Zinnia protested.

"You will be, one day. Trust the Empath," Anna advised in a mock wise voice.

"Last I checked Empath's could read emotions, not the future. In fact, with your grade in Divination you're the last people I would ask to read my future."

"That was uncalled for Zinni. I can't help it if Divination is almost as boring as History, we only took it because we thought it would be easy," Anna said as Darian nodded in agreement.

"So now you use it as your one class to slack off."

"We try in all our other classes, and its not like we're falling Divination," Darian defended. They were all distracted by a squawking sound and looked over to where Darian's turquoise conure was watching Zinnia intensely, ruffling his feathers slightly.

"Merlin's right Zinni, don't distract us, we were talking about you and Alicia," Anna smirked.

Zinnia gave a dramatic sigh, "you're both impossible."

"We know, it's great," Darian puffed out his chest and Anna laughed at how over the top her friends could be.

They continued to talk as it got darker outside the train, it almost seemed like Zinnia's bright yellow hair was glowing. Whenever someone asked about her hair she would say that she's just showing her Hufflepuff pride. Zinnia might be a quiet person around people she didn't know (maybe not as much as Arianna) but she certainly knew how to express herself through what she wore.

As Anna watched her friends bicker, she became certain that this year was going to be an exciting one.