Chapter Nineteen

Professor Rush could break out in song and dance and Anna would be none the wiser, her vacant expression wouldn't shift for a second. And since all he was doing was slowly dribbling on about Erklings, Anna's attention span didn't stand a chance. Although it didn't go unnoticed by the Professor.

He was used to a large number of glazed eyes looking at him, so he had become an expert in telling how distracted a student was. And while Anna was usually a little daydreamy, today her head was completely lost in the clouds, she wasn't even trying to pay attention. He knew there was probably a reasonable explanation, but he liked to be sure.

"Anna?"

Anna jolted up when she felt someone put their hand on her shoulder, looking to Darian with wide eyes, he had been calling her. And now he was looking at her with concern.

"You okay Anna?"

"I'm fine," she reassured softly. He looked doubtful but didn't ask again as they went to leave the DADA room. But before they could go, Professor Rush's soft voice called them back, well he called Anna back at least. Anna told Darian not to wait for her and went to see what Professor Rush wanted.

"How are you feeling, Miss Elwyn?"

"I'm fine, sir," she repeated.

"You seemed distracted today Miss Elwyn... well more so than usual," he looked at her with slight concern.

"I'm sorry sir. I promise it won't happen again."

"It's fine, I was just worried is all... you don't have to talk to me, but does that fight that you had have anything to do with why you were so distracted?"

Professor Rush knew he was right by the surprised look on Anna's face, he just wasn't sure what about the fight was bothering her. He knew that she was quiet and kind, not the type to enjoy hurting people, so perhaps that was what was bothering her.

"You know while I don't encourage violence, it's okay to stand up for yourself sometimes, Miss Elwyn. Especially if you're defending your friend," he tried to reassure her.

"I know Professor, I'm just worried about Zinnia," she confessed. It dawned on the Professor why Anna was so distracted. She was worried about her friend being bullied, but he knew about the problems it could cause if Anna let this worry bottle up and fester.

"You're scared that people are going to try to hurt her again," he stated and Anna nodded to confirm it, "I know you're worried about her Miss Elwyn but it'll be okay, I don't think anyone will try anything after what you did, and your friend knows that she has you and Mr Sauvage to look out for her," he tried to reassure her, and she didn't look a little less concerned.

Thank you, Professor."

"Have to talked to your friends about how you feel?"

"Not yet, they can be a little over-protective sometimes," she admits sheepishly.

"From what I've heard so can you. But you know you shouldn't try to contain all these emotions or block them out. It can be dangerous for an Empath," he warned her sternly.

Anna was shocked that Professor Rush knew that, not many people did. So few knew of the consequences of an Empath trying to bottle up their emotions, but it's even worse when they try to block out other people's emotions. Her shock obviously showed on her face.

"I've heard stories of Empaths who have end up injuring themselves or as callous, emotionless shells of the people they used to be because they couldn't handle feeling the pressure of other people's emotions. I've never heard of someone dying and I certainly never want to."

"I know better than to do any of that. My Mum's always telling me not to."

"Did you inherit your abilities from her?"

"No. From my Grandmother... But I don't know much about her," Anna answered hesitantly. Professor Rush could tell it was a sensitive topic so he didn't question her any further. Anna seemed more at ease now so Professor Rush felt that she was going to be okay.

"Okay Miss Elwyn, you can go now. I wouldn't want you to be late to dinner."

"Thank you Professor."

---------

AN: I'm so sorry that this chapter took absolutely forever to come out and sorry that it's so short. I started uni recently and I haven't had much time for writing but I hope that I'll be able to update more frequently, I certainly won't leave it for as long as I did with this chapter. I'll try my best to get the next chapter out soon and make it a bit longer :)